Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 F150 keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Exclamation 98 F150 keeps dying

OK so here's my dilemma...
I'm not a super car guy but I know enough.... Or so I thought.
I bought this truck from work at a great price knowing it had issues,
So I drove it home... It felt like it wanted to die the whole ride
So I replaced the alternator... Still dying... I figured a new battery
Wouldn't hurt... Still dying. I went back to O'Reilly and swapped out the alternator, got home and.......!! Still dying!!
New main fuses 175A mega fuse... Still dying!!
Good engine ground... All the connections on the alternator look fine, I replaced the battery terminal connections.

So basically I'm 350$ into it so far and all I can do is charge the battery and start the truck ( it starts fine every time ) and it's dead in 10-15 minutes... Without fail.

So if you got any ideas please share and I'll be more than happy to give it a try. I'm desperate at this point.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 02-08-2017, 07:42 PM

This is only one view, from where I sit.
A fully charged battery should allow a vehicle to run much longer than 15 min.
Something is either pulling some much power from the battery or once it gets warm power may be getting interrupted and causing the engine to quit running. Now the problem is determining if it is one of these.
To begin, when you connect the battery cables with the key off, do you notice any type of spark indicating something is on that should not be? If no, OK.
Do you know how to check for spark when you crank over the engine? If there is spark available, we need to know that. Also, when you first turn the key on you should hear the fuel pump run for the usual 2 seconds, do you hear that after the engine quits ? At this point we do not know if it is a fuel problem caused by an electrical problem or just an electrical problem. The other question I have is, will the starter crank over the engine after it stops running where it either will or won't.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
This is only one view, from where I sit.
A fully charged battery should allow a vehicle to run much longer than 15 min.
Something is either pulling some much power from the battery or once it gets warm power may be getting interrupted and causing the engine to quit running. Now the problem is determining if it is one of these.
To begin, when you connect the battery cables with the key off, do you notice any type of spark indicating something is on that should not be? If no, OK.
Nope... No spark or sizzling

Do you know how to check for spark when you crank over the engine? If there is spark available, we need to know that.From each plug or?

Also, when you first turn the key on you should hear the fuel pump run for the usual 2 seconds, do you hear that after the engine quits ? I'm not going to say yes but I highly doubt it's a fuel issue... So I'll check tomorrow

At this point we do not know if it is a fuel problem caused by an electrical problem or just an electrical problem.

The other question I have is, will the starter crank over the engine after it stops running where it either will or won't.
It will attempt to turn over but can't do to the battery being completely drained.
Thanks very much for your help.
I'll be sure to try/check what you have suggested as soon as I get home from work tomorrow.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:57 AM

You can remove one of the coil on plug coils insert a screwdriver or nail into the coil section that goes over the spark plug and crank the engine over with the nail/screwdriver close(1/4 in) to engine ground and see if you can see any spark.