Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery dieing issue please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Default battery dieing issue please help!!!

ok i have a 1998 ford f150 xlt and i am haveing a bit of a problem my truck has a short some were i think ok heres the story i had it sit for the entire winter then when there was warm days i whent and pulled my battery out and put it on a trickle charger for a couple of days and that didnt seem to help much so then i whent to walmart and got a new battery so i put it in then i was gone for a couple of days i came back and had to go out so i whent to start my truck and nothing not even a twich from the starter so i jumped it with my friends truck and it seemed to last for about 3 days so then i jumped it agen and i then i couldint really take it anywear cause i have no gas in it so i kinda just left it and was like what ever ill deal with it when i have time so it sat now about a couple of week mabe about a month or so and then today i was like ok im gunna jump my truck and see what i can do i got it going took it for a quick ride down the road then i came back parked it shut it off waited a few mins to see if it would start up turned the key and my starter made a clicking noise and all the light whent dim and nothing so i disconneted the battery and now im on here looking for help please if any body knows whats going on with this problem please tell me i need help thank you

Old 09-28-2011, 02:47 PM

Well first of all, Walmart's batteries can be defective just like anybody else.
It might be a good idea to check and make sure all the connections starting at the battery are clean and in good condition. It's pretty difficult to check a battery or charging system without some test equipment. Depending on how far you are from of the auto parts stores, possibly you can have them test your battery and charging system. If you can get it started and they aren't to far away.
Most vehicles will discharge the battery after standing long enough due to "parasitic loads" ,like radio, memory functions etc.,the more goodies you have the greater the drain. Gotta start somewhere, so why not have the battery and charging system checked out first?

Old 09-28-2011, 03:26 PM

thats a good idear i think i should of been smarter and left my truck in my home town i brought it to my girlfriends house in a differnt state and i have no clue were there are any places like auto zone or anything like that lol is there anyway i can do it at home thank u hanky