Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

A/C

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 08:20 PM
Default A/C

Hi everyone.

I hate having to ask for help from you guys when I haven't been able to contribute, but I need some help. I have 2 questions.
2002 F150 7700 w/ 5.4, 2x4.

1. Today my 02 f150 started making a noise, kinda like a bearing going out. Poked my head under the hood and tracked the problem down to the A/C compressor. with the A/C on it makes a little noise, But when turned off the clutch looks like its trying to turn with an occasional grip the release. Thinking the clutch is going out. so my question is, do I need to replace the compressor and clutch as an assembly or is the clutch serviceable separately?

2. It has also had an occasional low rpm (1500 or less) miss. Almost positive it is a coil going out. It has done this once before and was fixed under warranty so it didn't cost me anything.
Is there anyway to figure out which coil(s) are wigging out without going to the dealer? My Cornwell OBDII scanner isn't showing any codes.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:33 PM

Well,
The clutch is replaceable without pulling/draining the ac. Figured it out on my own.
Went ahead and replaced the plugs. Reused the coils.

Thanks everyone.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:31 PM

There is a pulley bearing that allows the pulley to rotate when the clutch is not engaged.
Then when the clutch is energized it connects the pulley part to the compressor drive shaft. There are times when there is not much resistance and the inner part of the magnetic clutch which is connected to the compressor drive portion, and the clutch not energized, the center part will sometimes move . If you are hearing bearing noise when the clutch is not being energized , chances are the bearing is worn and maybe bad enough to allow the parts of the clutch that are separated by a specified air gap to partially contact one another.
If replacing the plugs corrected the low speed miss, fine. If you still have the misfire you may need to isolate each coil to pin down which coil is getting tired.