Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/c problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:37 AM
Default A/c problem

My problem might sound like an easy fix but I don't have clue what happened.
I was told I needed a new compressor and all the fixings to get it cold again. So I went out and got everything I needed. Took my truck to a a friend that has his own shop. Certified and all. Got it back it ran great for awhile then I noticed that after about running it 30 to 45 min. It started to act like it didn't want to anymore. Everything was on but it sounded like it was choking out. It was blowing hard but nothing was coming out. I had to turn it off and let it set for about an hour then it worked fine for about another 30 min. Then start the same thing all over again. I have f150 supercrew with 5.4 lariet. I also noticed that my drain tube does not drain anymore and wondering if it would be hard to get to fix the drain thing first to see if that might help. Please help!!!

Old 04-17-2014, 09:26 PM

Since no one has answered, maybe a suggestion or two.
It could be holding the moisture that is condensing on the evap coils and causing it to freeze over thereby blocking the air movement through the evaporator. The drain could be blocked with accumulated stuff and is usually located on the passenger side firewall below the evep housing. Those drains can be a little difficult to see unless you know where to look for them. Sometimes they can be easily seen from under the vehicle.Once you locate the rubber drain tube you could push a piece of wire into the opening to open it up again. If you do this from under the vehicle you could get a little bit of a bath when it decides to drain.

Last edited by hanky; 04-17-2014 at 09:28 PM.