Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Clicking noise when trying to start F150>> Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Default Clicking noise when trying to start F150>> Help

when I try to start my F150 all I get is a clicking noise. Is my starter dead or is there a problem with wiring? the clicking noise is coming from what looks like some kind of relay like piece on the front-side wall of the passenger side.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Clicking noise when trying to start F150>> Help

Welcome to the site..

What year is your 150?

Old 04-12-2008, 08:11 PM

Hi thanks for replying. The F-150 is a 1994

Old 04-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Thats the starter solenoid..

Is the battery good and well charged? Headlights bright while attempting a start, and/or with ignition on?

It could be the solenoid.. If the battery is 'low', the solenoid may just click.. Same with a bad starter or connection.. Make sure all connections are tight.. If you have a test light/meter, you can first check the large copper lug coming 'out' of the solenoid (closest to the firewall/ opposite of the battery positive cable connection) for current with someone attempting an engine crank.. Or,, you can add 12V from the battery positive post with a test lead to the 'small' solenoid connection (slip on connector removed) closest to the battery.. The 2 large copper lugs should both be hot/voltagesupplied while trying to crank if the solenoid is good.. Youcan also connect aheavy jumper and go direct from the battery positive terminal and go straight to the starter motor connection 'or' to the solenoid lug coming out of the solenoid (starter cable side) as noted without a helper.. If the battery is well charged, and the starter is good, you will get a substantial spark making the connection, but the engine should crank if the starter is good.. If a standard trans, make sure it's in neutral.. If the solenoid test good, try having someone attempt a start holding the ignition in the crank position and use a mallet ect. and give the starter a good thump.. Sometimes it'll come back on line, if so it should be replaced...

Old 04-13-2008, 09:37 AM

Thank You for the helpful info.. The starter solenoid that that you mentioned is what I referred to as the relay like piece on the front-side wall of the passenger side. See pics. If you have a moment could you refer to my uploaded pic with wires labelled a,b,c,d to explain again how I could jump or bypass the solenoid. That would really help alot. I'm a rookie and I really appreciate it

[IMG]local://upfiles/16194/638B6125153D46459789B77493E3915E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16194/C3E2A71DFC1F4B0D96FC1A61E9951900.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16194/6C7270BE1954481D99E3358BF64AEF69.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16194/6F33785F7E7447458F583D5B8239FB25.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Actually your correct.. I was thinking of an earlier model year.. Sorry about the confusion.. The 'relay' mounted on the inner fender supplies the trigger voltage for 'solenoid' mounted on the starter motor.. The concept is the same though as before,, in that the small wire stud connection onthe relayis the 'trigger' circuit from the ignition.. When you either crank the engine with the ignition switch, or, you add 12v with a test lead to the small connector stud (angled wire connector removed) it will or should trigger the relay and close the switch contacts meaning you'll have voltage at 'both' of the largerlugs instead of just one if the relay is good.. The wire connections on the relay are battery voltage in, starter solenoid feed, ignition/relay trigger, and behind the molded harness cable (rubber cap side) are the fuseable link/alt feeds.. So,, if you suspect the relay is bad, you can either apply 12v to the small stud on the relay, or have someone hold the ignition in the crank position, ,,it'll click,, and you should then have 12v out of both large studs.. Or,, you can just carefully bridge/jump across both of the large lugs completing the relays connection.. Same with testing the starter seperate from the relay if needed,, you can just bridge/jump across the small starter solenoid connection to the larger battery cable connected on the starter motor.. If it doesn't crank testing/bridging the relay, and you bridge the starter connections and the engine spins, the relay would be bad.. If you bridge across the connections on the starter solenoid and it clicks and the starter doesn't spin the strarter/solenoid would be bad...

Old 04-13-2008, 05:55 PM

Here's what I did. I pulled off the push on connector on solenoid/relay. See "b" on pic attached. I then used my booster cables and attached to post uncovered from "b" and attached other end of booster cable to + battery terminal. I turned key on before doing this but did not turn over . As soon as contact was made with + battery I heard the same clicking as innitally heard when turning ignition . Does this rule anything out? Is it the relay/solenoid.Is this what you said in earlier post and if not could you refer to letters on pic. The battery is practically brand new and works fine.

Thanks again

[IMG]local://upfiles/16194/5322CCB21FAE415E87BA2FE519A9AAEB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

No doesn't really rule the relay out as bad.. Try this,,, remove the rubber nipple/cap off of the large relay connection,, then,, use your boost cable/screw driver ect. and make the connection across the 2 large lugs on the relay,it'll make a decent spark just to warn you if the engine cranks.. This will take the relay 'completely' out of the diagnostic loop since your basically going directly through eliminating the relay.. If it still doesn't crank,, go down on the starter and you'll see a small blade type push on connector on the starter right next to the larger battery cable connection both on the nose of the solenoid.. You can use a screwdriver ect and carefully bridge the two terminals and the engine should crank if the starter and solenoid are good..Could be the solenoid or the motor portion itself.. Some times if the starter won't crank(checking the starter itself) if you have someone handy to hold the ignition key in the 'crank position' and strike the starter housing with a mallet it may spin, and should be repaired/replaced..

Old 04-13-2008, 08:33 PM

As the others have said, check the solenoid, my 02 has done that when my battery was toast, and when the unit was faulty.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:33 PM

I need some more advice if you don't mind. I replaced the relay. Still same problem so I choose to try adn replace the starter. In doing so I twisted off the head of one the bolts. What now? should I drill the bolt out. If so what type of drill bit should I use? Should I drill straight through the housing the starter is attached to? Perhaps you might have a better method. Your advice is appreciated. Thanks

Quick Reply: Clicking noise when trying to start F150>> Help