Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Issues ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 07:54 AM
Default Coolant Issues ?

Hi
I am new to the forum so sorry I couldn't search and find the answer.
By the way GREAT JOB!
I have a 2000 F150 5.4 XL with 80,000 miles that I bought new.
I was getting #1 plug misfire error code occasionally but I changed it out.
a few years ago.
I have noticed when it sits for a while and I crank it, heavy white sweet smelling smoke comes out ( only twice) but after 5 minutes clears up.
I still get nearly 20 MPG but I do notice coolant loss but not any leakage I can find.
My youtube research shows the aluminum crossover thinggy that bolts to the front of the intake, gasket might be the cause??
Would that gasket allow it to leak into the cylinder itself? Or do you experts think it is a blown head gasket? Oil and Coolant looks perfect...
Thanks and Merry Christmas

Old 12-17-2016, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site, and Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!

The visible smoke that cleans up after some heating expansion, coolant loss, and possible plug issue tends to lean towards a gasket. Sometimes you'll see some coolant residue at the gaskets length or area between the block and head. May not even drip.
But to be sure on the coolant bleed , meaning where, which cylinder, and given the 5.4s history, what you can do is a leak down test pressurizing the cylinder/s ( Intake/ exhaust closed on the test cylinder) "cold" and look for air bubbles in the tank as well as the pressure drop differences.
Generally a small leak that stops when heated won't over pressurize the cooling system. That said, do you notice the system over pressure from cylinder compression?

Often a cylinder burning coolant,, the plug will collect a greenish/white deposit sometimes indication a failures beginning before any real coolant level drop is noticed. More so, if someone else does the services and tops off levels without a 'heads up'.
So no coolant in the oil, correct?

Old 12-17-2016, 01:57 PM

Hi
Thanks for answering so quick, I was repairing my deck from Hurricane Mathew. Always something! no coolant in the oil, or oil in coolant, I just rechecked for any sign of any leakage around and under intake none, but plenty of PLASTIC parts , very discouraging,
Also no sign of bubbles or over pressurizing.
When I changed the coil I also changed the plug, however look as if it was perfect.
I just wanna be sure before I pull off all that stuff to get to two little gaskets.
Thx