Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Distributor and Firing Order

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Default Distributor and Firing Order

I recently installed a 302 engine ( came out of a 1990 Ford Van), into my 1994 F-150(which was also a 302, but had a knock). I swapped the distributor that was orignally in the F-150 onto the second engine. What is the correct way to "line up" for timing purposes. Does the rotor have to face #1 cylinder? and if so, how do I go about that? If not, how is the correct way?
Next question..........
Firing order.. I'm alittle confused by this one and could use a bit of help... on the F-150 the firing order was ...1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 . Listed on the radiator support. Which according to Chilton's manual is a 351 firing order, not 302. Now on the engine from the van which is also a 302 the firing order is ...1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. I am correct in assuming that I go with the firing order that is listed on the radiator support of the truck? Any help with either of these questions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2005, 11:23 PM
Default RE: Distributor and Firing Order

You need to set engine to top dead center, this is where engine is at the top of cylinder #1 compression stroke. Then you look at the (f150) dist. cap and where wire #1 goes, come straight down and mark that spot. To install make sure you got everything facing where you want or where they go. Have the rotor maybe 15-30' CCW from #1 mark. As gear mesh it will turn to that postion. If you miss it just adjust where you started the rotor before droping it. It may not go all the way down, due to the oil pump drive shaft. All you have to do is turn the engine maybe 1/4 turn. Check to see if it dropped all the way then turn engine back to TDC.
Looks like the cam is different on the engine from the van, so you will need to use its firing order.
look its just 3-7 and 5-4 moved in order. Its not a problem (thats the van firing order)

this may help:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d800a18a0.jsp

Old 08-24-2005, 12:00 AM

Thanks for all your help! Took your advice and the truck is running great! Taking it out for a test run now!

Old 08-24-2005, 12:06 AM

Glad to help out, hope she ran like a bat-out-of-hell.....not sure where they got that from.
You know, we're GOOD!

Old 08-24-2005, 01:48 AM

Yep the reason the truck firing order was diff, was cause of the cam , more than likely you had a HO motor in the truck , the HO motors use the 351 firing order,, , keep the heads off the truck eng, they should read E7TE, if they do those are preformance heads , same as they run in the Mustangs, Highly thought after part !!!!, An you probaly had roller lifters in there too ... Luckly the puther will change the firing seq. of the injectors for you,, I know a few ppl that figured that the firing order was diif on the plugs , they had to switch the wiring to the puther for the inj to fire with the plug. ( which you would think ), But the puther picks it freebie !!

Old 08-24-2005, 04:37 PM

Don't think they came out with the rollers until '94, maybe late '93 in the Lightening HO motor, could be be wrong[:-]

Old 08-24-2005, 04:39 PM

Reread it ramrod and thats my bad, you saying same thing

Old 08-25-2005, 11:53 AM

Yea , I was just throwing my 2 cents in , you had it covered !

Old 08-25-2005, 12:23 PM

An on the roller lifters , I have found a few early 90's thats have had them , I Talked with a ole buddy of mine at the time , He worked with the Engine Design Team then, Ford before they release a product/ part to the general public , they will release it in small numbers, On select vechiles an sit back an wait for that VIN. # to pop up for a repair at a dealer ( Some how there able to flag them off the dealers computher he wouldnt release that info to me ) , But they can track them to see if theres any early failures an if the test group goes good then. They will throw it in mass production. Back in the Late 80's I got a chance for 6 yrs to work with them on a Fleet Program, Where we got to test all kinds of stuff,, Elect Air Pumps , Elect . water pumps , The new Generation of EGR tubes that came out on 88 EFI motors,A joint venture with Borg warner on the elec. shift Transfer . Several diff Engine programs, Rear ends, Transmissions ,.. In the late 70's we got the first AOD transmissions to test , the castings were poured by hand , an they were so pore's that when the tranny got hot like in a hard pull , the tranny case would weep oil from it all over. Just a few of the things that occured.,, Got story's where they instead of using Antifreeze in a Coolant system , they tried to use ATF., An of course theres things I had to sign a release saying I couldnt speak of . Things that come out NEW to the public have been on the drawing board for 10-12 yrs. An then field testing for another 5 yrs in very controlled . limited applacations, Like on the Motors we had a log that had to be filled out each time a quart of oil was added, the mileage , Any time coolant was added, When it was serviced , every time it was filled with fuel , so they could track the MPG. I would get a call to take pictures of certain areas of concern they had , If there was anytype of failure I had to notify them rite away , Plus they would send a Factory Rep . by every 2 months to check on things , We had to do a oil sample for them, Etc. Some times remove a part an ship it to them , for inspection , Of course we got paid for this to boot . It was pretty cool I enjoyed being part of the program, An it worked out good for me in the future as well.

Old 08-25-2005, 05:01 PM

Yea, I thought rollers came out in limited numbers early '90-'94 Mustang.

Sounds like you had an intesting job. What type of fleet cars did you take care of? Police?

And how did the ATF work as a coolant?[&:]

Quick Reply: Distributor and Firing Order