Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E4OD Torque Converter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:32 AM
Default E4OD Torque Converter Issues

I have some questions about my torque converter. I played parts hanger throwing pocket change at my truck trying to "dodge" around the real problem, and accepting the fatal diagnosis. I know my torque converter is bad (it shudders like a **** when you're over 30 mph and load the engine or accelerate. If you go over 55 then it is REALLY BAD). So now that I've finally swallowed that pill, how bad is it if I just let it go for a little while? I've drove for years with a shuddering converter in my 89 Grand Marquis with an AOD, but this E4OD must have similar issues, but even that AOD at it's worst was way better than the E4OD. Is there a temporary "snake oil" fix that will get me by temporarily? I know how people feel about it, but a temporary fix is exactly that. I'm trying to buy some time before I have to drop the transmission...can you blame me? I know these things have issues, though. I read on alldata (when I still had my cushy dealership job) that these torque converters are bad (just like the AOD's).
I've also heard of the lock-up solenoids and wiring going out. How would I know if it's the torque converter and not the solenoid or wiring? The torque converter will "unlock" when it starts shuddering under 60 mph if I press on the brakes like it should, but if I'm going over 60 mph and accelerating or going uphill and it starts shuddering, when I press on the brake pedal it doesn't "unlock" and just keeps shuddering and shaking. Thanks

Old 03-04-2010, 04:15 PM

you can find the wires going to the lock up silonid unplug it then drive the truck if it stops shuttering its probly the lockup you can leav it unpluged if its your problem

Old 03-12-2010, 06:16 PM

I am having some similar issues. Replaced the selnoid and tranny service, didn't fix it. Took it to the tranny shop last week and they informed me that gear two was burned, so I put a tranny in it, Today they informed me that none of this fixed the problem, sooo $1200.00 later I have the same problem. He said that it sounded like the computer or wiring. The wires that plug into the selnoid, where do they go to? What are your thoughts? With this issue can I try driving it unplugged? and if I drive it unplugged and it doesn't seem to do it, what would I replace to make it right? PLEASE HELP, This FORD is making me broke.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:43 AM

im 90% sure the computr yes you can drive it with it unpluged if that dosnt work get the computer checked