Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Default Electrical Problem

Hello all, new to the forum and hope this is the right place if so thanks in advance if not a push n the right direction with be much appreciated as well!!!

OK to start I put my first radio in a car about 35yrs ago and never had any problems, the colors have always matched up we'll they have cause I've always got a new wire harness for what ever I was putting in. We'll this time I wanted 2 save a lil so I used the one that I used 8 yrs ago when I changed the radio the first time. I've never seen this but almost all the colors were faded, so needless to say I touched the wrong wire n didn't realize it and the radio wouldn't work. It took me some time I checked fuses 7 and 31 cause the manual said radio well I didn't read close enough cause fuse 22 was the one that was blown. Well while sitting there trying to find what was wrong my batt. died so I tried to jump it. It took a couple of tries but started I chocked it up to draining the power but once I got the fuse fixed and "NEW" wire harness wired up try it start the truck and now all it does is crank, not sure if this is a part of or something that just happened as well but when I turn the key to the run position my "fuel hand doesn't move and my windows won't come down for about 10 to 15 seconds then I hear a click and hand goes up windows come down and also the radio comes on when the click happens. I've checked manual n looks like 401 circuit breaker controls delay power 4 windows, but my brains not quite getting it cause I used to do electrical work some yrs ago but I've never had a fuse or breaker work half way either there good or bad. So if anyone has any clue I could use any and all help please and thank you.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:15 PM

This one is gonna require a crystal ball and mine , right now, is as dull as they come !
It won't tell me what you are working on like year, model , yes, engine and all the other junk !
Welcome to the new age where things go wrong big time just because the battery went dead. I don't know if I can offer any useful suggestions until I have some idea with the info you might be able to supply. Just to give you some idea, late models have a load of network modules and the radio is one of them. If it is an older year without modules you get off easy, but if it has a bunch of modules you may need to hold down your wallet. All is not lost, however, there are some sharp folks on this site and hopefully some help might come around.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:52 PM

LoL 😂 yea I guess could use what I need help with, ok it's a 2004 F150 4x4 Supercrew XLT and thanks for the reply

Old 05-06-2016, 04:54 PM

Oh it has the 5.4

Old 05-06-2016, 07:21 PM

Does your vehicle have an anti-theft system? If so, consider trying another key.
Next if that doesn't help you may need to remove/disconnect all the wires you connected with the installation especially if it started before you finished the installation and now when finished it refuses to start.
Also, after you disconnect the newly installed harness, try what we call a forced reset and that is removing the negative battery cable from the battery and holding it on the positive cable end for 5-10 minutes to allow the capacitors to completely discharge then reconnect the negative cable to the neg post and see what you get.
If you have a theft lite what does it do when trying to start