Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Elusive Windshield Lower Molding Clip

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Default Elusive Windshield Lower Molding Clip

Not so much a "How To" fix problem as a drive me crazy "Find The Part" problem for my 1988 Ford 150.

The lower W/S molding itself is in great condition as are the nine clips that attach to it even when off the truck. These clips have a protruding portion tip resembling a round point shovel. I have no problem with either of these items.

The tips of the above clips, when the molding is assembled to the truck, slide into a slot of a second rectangular clip that is attached to the truck and herein lies my problem.

The truck, just under the windshield, has a set of nine dual protruding pins that retain these "second rectangular clips". The pins are approximately 1-5/8" apart... two pins retain one rectangular clip in a horizontal position. I estimate that long clip to be about 2-1/2" overall but not certain (rusted away).

My problem, bottom line.. These nine (9) rectangular clips that attach to the cab body via 2 pins each... I have been searching for three days on the Internet, have driven to various stores (NAPA, Advance Auto, etc), even to the Ford place, and have come across hundreds of various retainers, clips, etc, except the one type I need.

If anyone has knowledge of where I might obtain these "Body Clips"?, "Molding Clips"? I would really appreciate it. The item is attached to the body of the truck, not the molding, and is confusing even to the Ford parts department as what to call it.

Last edited by Joe Reeves; 09-12-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:46 PM

Here is a link to a page in the LMC Truck catalog. Under "Windshield Glass and Molding", part #40-1680 may be the retainer clips you are looking for.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/865w/0013.jpg

Hover over the image with cursor, and click to expand the picture.

Here is a link to their Ford truck homepage.

Ford Truck Parts and Truck Accessories from LMCTruck.com

Last edited by thexlo8ers; 09-11-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 AM

Thexlo8ers..... And just like that, after a couple years or more of trying to find that clip, I do believe that you have located it for me, thank you so much. I ordered eleven of them so I will have a couple extra. I saved that LMC website and will be placing more orders later on. I'll let you know how I make out when the clips arrive. Thanks again.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:50 AM

No problem, and you're welcome.

Do let us all know how those clips work out.

Cheers!!!

Old 09-14-2012, 06:38 PM

Thexlo8ers.... The windshield clips arrived today, very fast shipping I'm thinking. They are somewhat similar to the original (the pins line up, spaced the same) but unfortunately there are major differences that cannot be overcome such as the height of the clip hits the body before the pin can line up when shoving it in, and the slot would end up being too low, actually pressing against the body.

Although I blew the picture up before ordering and was aware that it was somewhat different in design... I was thinking improvement modification. However, it was worth a shot and I do appreciate having you take the time to steer me to that site. Now, back to the drawing board.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Reeves
Thexlo8ers.... The windshield clips arrived today, very fast shipping I'm thinking. They are somewhat similar to the original (the pins line up, spaced the same) but unfortunately there are major differences that cannot be overcome such as the height of the clip hits the body before the pin can line up when shoving it in, and the slot would end up being too low, actually pressing against the body.

Although I blew the picture up before ordering and was aware that it was somewhat different in design... I was thinking improvement modification. However, it was worth a shot and I do appreciate having you take the time to steer me to that site. Now, back to the drawing board.
Dang!

Hard for me to say what to do next without actually seeing the truck.

Mod/fab the area below the windshield to accept the retainers, clips and moldings. Some other means to secure the moldings other than OEM replacement parts for that yr., make, model truck?

Consult a body shop, and/or glass shop?

Search junkyards? (sigh)

Call LMC, and inquire?

Old 12-08-2012, 10:49 PM

Hi all, new to this site, and I realize this thread is a few months old.... I just removed the windshield on my 1989 F250 and like everyone else, all my lower clips were rusted. There's not many left on the planet, but I think you're looking for Ford part# E1DZ-6629100-A.

Elusive Windshield Lower Molding Clip-e1dz-6629100-.jpg

fordpartsgiant.com has them, not sure how many though, and also a few other places that have NOS. Hope that helps.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:30 PM

That Ford part E1DZ-6629100-A looks identical to the LMC Truck "Windshield Glass and Molding", part #40-1680 that I ordered. A close fit but not quite. I finally ended up having the ends of the molding hooked in the vertical side moldings as they normally would be, then carefully used one stainless steel sheet metal screw in the center to hold it firmly. Test drives of 70 mph+.... held up fine. Don't care for that one screw being there but it's hardly noticable to others.

Later I intend to caulk under the molding with an adhesive type caulking, possibly all the way around the WS, cutting away any excess so that it looks proper. Just haven't decided on which caulking to use yet... prefer to stay away from the expanding type for obvious reasons.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:31 AM

Did LMC send you genuine Ford OEM parts, or generic replacement parts? Everything I've purchased from them has been a reproduction, and usually poor quality, which is why I don't buy from them anymore.

The genuine OEM clips fit perfectly and are the exact same size. Here's a genuine one next to one of the original ones I removed.

Elusive Windshield Lower Molding Clip-clip.jpg

Old 12-18-2012, 11:57 AM

Bombr... Unfortunately I don't remember if it was Ford OEM or generic. However I do remember that the bottom WS clips on my 1988 Ford F150, although fairly rusted to oblivion, looked the same on both sides, hence my thinking that the difference in appearance was an improved design.

Really wish I had kept some of the old clips, perhaps I did and just don't remember where yet. I'll give it considerable thought and clean the garage thoroughly. Should I come across them, I'll get back to you.