Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

F150 Front Brakes Sticking

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Default F150 Front Brakes Sticking

Got a problem. I have a 1997 F150 XLT 4X4 with 150,000 miles. Last week it hung up the right pads to a point where they got hot, only drove it a few miles though. So I put on two rebuilt NAPA calipers and brackets, two hoses and a master cylinder. The front is all bled out but the left side is too tight like it isn't releasing all the way. When it's been driven you have to turn the wheel by hand. Here's a catch, my new right caliper is Ford Motorcraft, the left is ???? No name just numbers and the letter R

Old 07-03-2022, 01:37 AM
Talking Dragging F-150 brakes possible cause

Your pipe is pinched! I had dragging brakes when it got hot. Tried new calipers. Worked because truck was cool to work on. Howsomever, when it got hot they dragged again. Some wise man on a forum here suggested there are brackets holding the rubber pressure hose on your front struts. Picture here. They are tight from birth but rust builds up inside them and they get tighter when hot. You brake system supplies a tish load of pressure to activate your caliper but the residual pressure on release can’t let the oil back out. Forms a one way check valve under this bracket. Carefully pry the bracket open enough to slide the hose up and down or pop it out and clean the rust. Reinsert the hose and gently tap it just tight enough to hold the hose. Be careful working the bracket open to not nick or cut your hose. It could hurt. Move the ABS wire out of the way cause you will slip off while prying. Don’t bash your face. Yup. Battlescars. When done spin the rotor by hand with two lugs on. Gloves recommended and engine running. Have an assistant step on the brakes and note it works. And then foot off the brakes that the pressure not drops at the caliper. Should spin again since your pipe is no longer pinched. Good luck. Of course make sure you properly support the truck while working under it.