Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

ford f150

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Default ford f150

Sometime when i am coming to a sudden stop, my truck will just shut right off. What needs to be done to fix this?

Old 12-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Default F150 Stalling

A little more detailed information would be helpful to all who read this post, but torque converter clutch solenoid is what comes to my mind, i believe you can somewhat test it by lightly hitting the brake while holding the gas when driving, the rpm should spike up a small amount momentarily, watch your tach while doing this. If not i would start looking at the torque converter clutch in the transmission. Im sure other would have suggestions you might try also.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:27 PM

Good suggestion Ford Tech. Would like to add , if you take the trans out of gear when coming to a stop if the stall is gone could confirm possible trans converter problem.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:28 PM
imp

Originally Posted by FordTech
A little more detailed information would be helpful to all who read this post, but torque converter clutch solenoid is what comes to my mind, i believe you can somewhat test it by lightly hitting the brake while holding the gas when driving, the rpm should spike up a small amount momentarily, watch your tach while doing this. If not i would start looking at the torque converter clutch in the transmission. Im sure other would have suggestions you might try also.
Good Advice! Some folks have trouble "feathering" the throttle to check clutch engage/disengage, AND they need to do this at cruise speed, AFTER the clutch would normally be engaged, otherwise, the eng. speed will ALWAYS jump up a bit upon added throttle.

Another thing to try, but won't PROVE anything if clutch solenoid is INTERMITTENT. If the clutch is stuck engaged, that is, not DISENGAGING, shifting to neutral while coasting to a stop, at maybe 10 mph, will "prove out" stuck clutch: engine will remain idling in neutral. Then, a shift into "D" will stall it. imp

Old 12-10-2011, 06:55 AM

f-150 fantastic truck no have problem !