Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Oxygen sensor and cat removal

Old 10-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Default Oxygen sensor and cat removal

I have a '92 F150 with a 302 and I would like to know if I can take the cat off. I think the sensor is before the cat right where the Y pipes come together, am I right? Also what does the air tube do and what would I do with it if I were to take the cat off?

thanks
mexiburger

Old 10-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Default RE: Oxygen sensor and cat removal

Sensor is before the cat. The EGR return comes off of the cat, but if it is disconnected it won't make much of a difference. The fitting on mine rusted off and it was hanging there for a year, but the engine functioned fine. If you do remove the cat, you could just remove the vacuum line to the EGR and the engine will run without the EGR valve.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:54 PM

Thanks for the help

so to clarify if the sensor is before the cat it's ok to take it off right? Now with the EGR valve is this only a emissions control part or will it affect other things. I have read that a bad EGR valve will affect things like gas milage and will cause detonation, but is this only because of a bad valve and if it's not hooked up this won't happen? Also would it be worth it (or even work) to run a new air tube to the exhaust pipe??

Thanks again
mexiburger

Old 10-20-2006, 11:46 AM

I heard it may effect gas milage. When the tube for mine was broke off compared to now having it connected again I haven't noticed much of a difference. 1 mpg when I am only getting about 14 mpg may be the difference.

I haven't heard about hooking it up to a straight pipe. I don't think I would do that. The catalytic convertor is designed to redirect unburned gas and air; a straight pipe probably won't do that very well.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

The tube running forward of the cat isn't EGR.. It's thermactor/secondary fresh air injected from the smog air pump for converter/catalyst secondary burn/conversion.. Disabling/restricting an EGR flow (drastically), can/will result in a DTC.. The tube is needed for a fresh air suppy to the converter.. Whats the reason you want to pull the cat?

Old 10-22-2006, 12:57 PM

Hayapower is correct. The tube from the converter is for the smog pump (air injection) for the catalytic converter. The EGR tube comes off the passenger side exhaust manifold. Disconnecting the tube from the converter will not hurt if you remove the conveter and close off the tube end or leave it open. If you leave it open then at times you will hear a pumping sound from the tube caused by the smog pump when it reaches proper temperature. The EGR tube if disconnected will turn on the check engine light and set a DTC. I have to ask the same question. Why are you wanting to get rid off the catalytic converter?

Old 10-23-2006, 10:38 AM

My bad. [sm=icon_beat.gif]

Thanks for the clarification.