Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem with fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Default problem with fuel injection

i have a 1996 ford f-150 302 engine ! it,s burning lean and i have trouble starting it in the morning ! it acts like it,s not getting enough gas for it to start up ! would the fuel regulator cause it not wanting to start after its been sitting a long time? it turns over good but it takes a long while before it will fire up but once it starts it,s okay until it sits awhile then it has trouble starting again ! i changed the plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor and fuel filter ! i am thinking about changing the regulator to find out if that,s the problem ! thanks guys !

Old 07-21-2012, 07:28 AM

Before you spend anymore $ why not consider trying this ?
When the vehicle has sat a while, turn the ign switch to on ,then off, then on maybe 2-3 times then go to start it. If that corrects the delayed start problem there could be a defective check valve in the fuel pump module that is supposed to prevent fuel drainback to the tank. Let us know if this helps eliminate the problem.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Before you spend anymore $ why not consider trying this ?
When the vehicle has sat a while, turn the ign switch to on ,then off, then on maybe 2-3 times then go to start it. If that corrects the delayed start problem there could be a defective check valve in the fuel pump module that is supposed to prevent fuel drainback to the tank. Let us know if this helps eliminate the problem.
thanks for the input hanky but do you suppose it could be the regulator not holding the pressure up to the injectors ? i am getting a lean burn when it does start ! the tailpipe stays as clean as a brand new one all the time ! i get no hesitation after it starts and it idles good ! if i shut it off it will start right back up but after it sits a long time it will crank a lot before it fires up ! i have duel tanks so i doubt the both fuel pumps would be bad ! i put a new filter on it too so do you think it could be the regulator ! once it starts it will take the gas good and sit and idle good ! thanks hanky !

Old 07-21-2012, 02:54 PM

Does the hard start happen regardless of which tank you happen to be pulling fuel from?
I don't believe the pressure reg is the problem, but I have been wrong before, lost count.
There may be a problem with the reservoir assy that all fuel from either pump must pass through. If you could get your hands on a fuel pressure gauge it would help to confirm if you really have a fuel problem or something else is going on.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:54 PM

Just my two cents: I agree w/Hanky; the lean start is probably happening becuase the fuel pump can't/isn't making the required pressure; they did have the check valve in the tank w/the pump, but it's replaced together.
And even if you suspect the regulator, which is completely possible, you'd have to use a fuel pressure gauge to test it; it probably takes a while to build up.
And even with the gauge connected, you have to plug the return line to see if the pump CAN produce the pressure.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by bandit1948
i have a 1996 ford f-150 302 engine ! it,s burning lean and i have trouble starting it in the morning ! it acts like it,s not getting enough gas for it to start up ! would the fuel regulator cause it not wanting to start after its been sitting a long time? it turns over good but it takes a long while before it will fire up but once it starts it,s okay until it sits awhile then it has trouble starting again ! i changed the plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor and fuel filter ! i am thinking about changing the regulator to find out if that,s the problem ! thanks guys !
it,s still the same HANKY regardless what tank i am running off of ! do you suppose there is an injector hanging up ? it idles good and no hesitation when you hit the gas ! maybe i should use some good fuel injection cleaner in the tank ? i appreciate all you folks for coming back to me !

Old 07-22-2012, 09:36 AM

hey HANKY ! DO YOU SUPPOSE THE GAS CAP IS NOT HOLDING THE PRESSURE IT NEEDS ?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:19 AM

Mr bandit1948,
Any pressure in the fuel line system is produced by the fuel pump(s).
Since the problem is present with either tank/pump you are going to be chasing a wild goose without using a pressure gauge to either confirm or rule out a possible fuel problem. There is always the possibility of a non fuel problem so I would again ,suggest get a fuel pressure gauge and check the system properly then you will know for sure where you stand.