Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran outta fuel now does not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:35 PM
Default Ran outta fuel now does not start

Hey guys. Im the dip that ran outta gas in his 2001 ford f150 lariat crew cab 5.4l. I was going to go get gas and forgot on the way to the lake. Backed the boat in the water and bam she died in the middle of the launch. Tried starting it a few times to get it out of the way. But no dice. Went to the gas station, put gas in it and it started right up. Parked the truck quick. Went fishing for a few hours then went to leave and it started right back up again with that 5 gallons of gas I got from before. Put it in. reverse and I made it maybe 15 feet, started to cough and then died. Have not been able to start it since.

Brought it home, been working on it for over a week and can't get her going. I originally heard a hum from the fuel pump but then I did not, so I dropped the tank. I replaced that. I also replaced the fuel filter while down there. I was also told the fuel pump relay could be bad so I spent the 10 bucks to replace that. Fuses all look good under the hood and in the cab. Unless Im missing another relay I should check or a random fuse I think those are fine. I checked the saftey fuel switch on the cab passanger side and that red button is pressed down. So that is good. I also have checked the schrader vavle on the fuel rail. I pressed it with a screw driver and only a little fas comes out, it does not SQUIRT out like I think its supposed to do.

I hear the hum of the fuel pump priming. and then I go to start it and it sounds like normal cranking but it just wont go the last little bit to catch and start. Soooooo strange.

Someone please help. I have spent probably around 20 hours just trying to figure this issue out and Im sure its something simple Im missing.

Tested the fuel pressure and getting 35 psi. Please help

Old 08-12-2015, 02:38 PM

You might try these two things.
First if you have some carb/choke cleaner(pretty close to gasoline) spray a shot into the intake . if the engine starts and runs for even a few seconds it would confirm a fuel supply problem. There are fuses that protect circuits and you need to confirm that ALL of them are good. Let us know what you found with the info provided so far. Looking at the fuses is not good enough you need to be sure they can carry current. Test them with a test lite.
Does the check engine lite go out when cranking the engine?
How can you have no pressure at the schrader valve and have 35 lbs fuel pressure?

Last edited by hanky; 08-12-2015 at 02:44 PM.