I'm not very familiar with car or truck
repairs, but I'm hoping I can replace the starter. So far I've removed the bottom nut and when the weather warms up a bit, I'll try and tackle the rest.
I think I can see a second nut holding the starter in place, but I won't know for sure until I remove the front passenger tire, as access to that location is very difficult. Also, it looks like there's a second part
attached to the starter which I believe to be the "starter solenoid".
So, I guess my questions are:
1) Is there only two nuts holding the starter in place?
2) I read another post suggesting the "starter solenoid" is the thing on top of the starter. Will it get removed when the starter is removed?
3) The same post I read suggested changing the "starter solenoid" and the starter brushes instead of replacing the entire starter. Does this make sense or will this be more difficult in the long run?
4) How do I know if the "starter solenoid" is faulty?
5) Is there anything else I need to watch for or consider when removing the starter?
6) Is there anything else I need to watch for or consider when installing the new starter?
Any help or advice you can offer is very much appreciated.