Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Replacing starter on 99 - F150

Old 01-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Default Replacing starter on 99 - F150

Hi,[/align]
I'm not very familiar with car or truck repairs, but I'm hoping I can replace the starter. So far I've removed the bottom nut and when the weather warms up a bit, I'll try and tackle the rest.
I think I can see a second nut holding the starter in place, but I won't know for sure until I remove the front passenger tire, as access to that location is very difficult. Also, it looks like there's a second part attached to the starter which I believe to be the "starter solenoid".

So, I guess my questions are:

1) Is there only two nuts holding the starter in place?

2) I read another post suggesting the "starter solenoid" is the thing on top of the starter. Will it get removed when the starter is removed?

3) The same post I read suggested changing the "starter solenoid" and the starter brushes instead of replacing the entire starter. Does this make sense or will this be more difficult in the long run?

4) How do I know if the "starter solenoid" is faulty?

5) Is there anything else I need to watch for or consider when removing the starter?

6) Is there anything else I need to watch for or consider when installing the new starter?

Any help or advice you can offer is very much appreciated.

Thanks.[/align]

Old 01-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Default RE: Replacing starter on 99 - F150

The starter (if like mine on a 4.6 liter) has three bolts holding it on. One of the bolts you can not see but it is there on top and behind the starter towards the motor. The thing on top is the solenoid. Your new starter will have one on it already. No need to take it off. It is easier to replace the whole unit. Be sure to disconnect the negative battery cable first (black cable). Then remove the wires on the starter taking note of thier location. Remove the three bolts holding the starter on. At this point the starter will come completely out. reverse the order to reinstall. I do not think that taking the tire off will help you much. good luck

Old 01-19-2008, 04:58 PM

1. no 3 bolts 2. yes it will come off with it 3.it could but it seems your a novice (no offence) just buy a rebuilt 4.you need a multimeter and ohm it out 5 . MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY GROUND (IF THAT RED BAT CABLE TOUCHES GROUND YOUR GOING TO HAVE PROBLEMS ) your k.a.m. keep alive memory will be ereased unless you use a memeory saver a 9 volt battey that plugs into the cig lighter, your pcm will relearn regardless after a few drive cycles do don't worry if you car runs "weird" for a couple of days. 6.make sure stater is flush all wires hooked up tight and right torque for stater bolts is 16-20 ftlb then reconnect batt ground.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the great replies. Very helpful.

I'm thinking of throwing the towel in because I can't loosen the two nuts on the top part of the starter; they're too rusted and I can't get proper leverage. I've tried spraying them with WD-40, but that didn't seem to help.

Maybe someone has suggestions on how to loosen these? :-) Maybe there's some sort of wrench that will get into that tight area and provide leverage?

Anyways, the info provided is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:53 PM

there is a type of socket that will bite onto the bolts and remove then i cant remember what there called off hand but they come in a blue box about 25 bucks and when you look at them unlike regular sockets they have extra teeth inside to grab onto the bolt only problem is that you will have to replace the bolts...ironiclly i to am replaceing the starter on my truck now as well about 4 months ago I had to do the head gaskets on it (i dont suggest doing that yourself its a royal pain lol) but good luck on the starter.