Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 06:45 AM
Default Rough Idle

hello Ladies and Gents,

I am in a limbo... I am in the process of changing my coil packs, all 8, and I keep running into the same problem. Every time the season changes into the colder season my truck initial start in the morning has a rough idle. Its starts fine and then after 2 min it sounds like it wants to give out and die. It does kick back on but it only does this in the cold seasons. I did change the spark plugs and boots but I did notice in 2 of the plugs that there was a break in oil getting through to the spark plug. Also, 3 of the 4 coils on the driver side that there were signs of corrosion at the spark of the plug and the connector spring from the coil to the rear of the plug. Any input and ideas welcome to lead me into the right direction to trouble shoot.

thank you in advance

Juan

Semper fi

Old 11-12-2016, 09:53 AM

You don't provide enough info to make a worthwhile suggestion.
It would help if we knew the year, model, mileage, engine and some previous maintenance history. As you are aware not all engines are the same some have particular requirements as compared to others.
Among some of the reasons for the idle problem , there could be a coolant sensor problem, an idle air control problem, dirty throttle plate and several other possible reasons. The more info you can provide helps to possibly pinpoint the problem area.
Check engine lite ever come on? Did you have the vehicle checked for any stored codes in the computer? To shoot from the hip can get costly and still not solve the problem.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:56 AM

My apologies
My vehicle is a 2000 f-150 with 217,899.5 miles and she has the 5.4 V8 Triton engine. I have changed the spark plugs twice during normal usage. The check engine light had come on before the first tune up. I used OEM Motorcraft as the replacements and I also changed the boots of the coils, the engine light did go away. After the next oil change the engine appeared to be coming up with the same grip as to wanting to give out on the initial ignition. The light did come back on and when I took it in to get coded it read that there were multiple misfires and something with the gas pressure, the truck was coded were from Autozone. The throttle body was cleaned with cleaner and a wire brush, Air flow sensor was cleaned, I believe this part is called the IAC that is mounted next to the throttle body with 2 hoses connected to it that was also changed out, also changed were the hoses since they were in op order. I did just find out that the Speed control wire seemed to dismount from the throttle body when it is engaged so who knows how long I have been driving without that cinched on the throttle. I did zip tie it for now until I get the whole wire replaced.