Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

steering column cover removal

Old 02-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Default steering column cover removal

I have a 1995 F-150 and I'm trying to replace the necessary parts so it won't shift as sloppy as it does currently. Can't understand why Ford makes it so difficult to remove the steering column cover! I have to remove the tilt **** to get the lower cover off and I have to remove the ignition switch to get the top cover off. I have no idea how to remove these two items. There is no set screw on the tilt lever **** and I am not sure if there is a release button for the ignition turn switch. Help would be appreciated!

Old 02-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

The tilt lever has a 'flat area' pressed into the shaft about half way down.. Use a good grip tool and unscrew the lever.. It has thread locker on the threads so it may be a little tight.. The ignition,,, turn the key to 'ON' look under the lower column cover, or, if already removed, look at the bottom side of the lock cylinder area.. You'll see a 'small hole' and with the key set to 'ON' insert a pin punch or small round tool and push IN slightly to release the hold pin then just pull straight out on the lockset.. Helps to have the battery disconnected since you won't be able to turn the ignition back of,, Or,, reinsert the lockset after the upper cover has been removed..

Old 02-12-2009, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the help!