Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:19 AM
Default Transmission

Hi

I have a 2009 f-150 4.6 3v and I am wondering if anyone knows how to check the transmission fluid.It does not have a dipstick and I cannot find a drain plug or a check plug. also how do you drain the fluid and add fluid. My manual just says it does not use fluid.

Thanks

Old 05-10-2016, 11:23 AM

To check your automatic transmission fluid, follow these steps: Pull out the dipstick. With the gearshift in Neutral or Park and the parking brake on, let your engine run. Check the fluid. Wipe the dipstick with a clean, lint-free rag; then reinsert it and pull it out again.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:35 PM

It does not have a dipstick

Old 05-10-2016, 06:03 PM

There is a 19MM cap plug on the passenger side. Remove that cap and the dipstick is under it (yellow). Make sure you use only the fluid your owner's manual specifies and you should purchase it from Ford. After removing the cap you can remove the bolts holding the pan and filter and let it drain. Cleanliness is absolute !!
After installing the filter and pan add approx 4&1/2 qts using something like a suction gun with a hose attached to get the fluid in there. If you fill it up to the bottom of the crosshatch marks that should bring you in the correct ballpark when the fluid expands when hot.
Also, the pan gasket is reusable , make sure everything is clean !

Old 05-11-2016, 08:35 AM

Thanks i'll check that out

Old 05-11-2016, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
There is a 19MM cap plug on the passenger side. Remove that cap and the dipstick is under it (yellow). Make sure you use only the fluid your owner's manual specifies and you should purchase it from Ford. After removing the cap you can remove the bolts holding the pan and filter and let it drain. Cleanliness is absolute !!
After installing the filter and pan add approx 4&1/2 qts using something like a suction gun with a hose attached to get the fluid in there. If you fill it up to the bottom of the crosshatch marks that should bring you in the correct ballpark when the fluid expands when hot.
Also, the pan gasket is reusable , make sure everything is clean !
Great infor hanky. Thanks for sharing with us !!