Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Transmission fluid change... 2000 ford f150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Default Transmission fluid change... 2000 ford f150 4x4

I have a 2000 ford f150 4x4 5.4 liter. I need to flush the transmission fluid what is the best and easiest way to do this, remind you i have never done it before but im sure it cant be hard..

Old 03-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Default re; Fluid Change

I assume that it's an automatic transmission. You can't just drain all the fluid from an automatic transmission, since most of the fluid resides in the torque converter. This makes the operation a bit more complicated than changing the lube in a manual transmission.

Depending on the method that you use, you'll need at least twice the amount of ATF that the tranny holds, as well as a few gaskets and filters.

The standard method of changing fluid is to drop the pan, change the filter and allow as much fluid to drain as is in the body of the transmission.

Button it back up, and fill with ATF.

Start it up, and drive it for a few miles. Bring it back and let it cool, and do this again (except that you wont need to change the filter this time).

Then repeat a 3rd time, with a new filter.

As you can tell, this is time consuming and expensive, but it is the "recommended method" for the "do it to yourselfer".

Old 03-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Default re: Fluid Change Part Deux

The 2nd method of changing the fluid starts the same.

Drop the pan and drain the fluid and change the filter. Then refill with ATF.

Next find the inlets and output to the trans cooler on the radiator. Open the output line and connect a piece of gas line to the connection on the radiator. Run this hose to a bucket to catch the fluid.

Put a funnel in the trans filler neck and have the additional ATF ready to pour.

Start the truck and watch as the fluid pours out of the hose.

Add a quart of fluid for every quart that drains.

IT IS VITALLY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT LET THE FLUID GET TOO LOW!

Sorry for the caps, but this can't be stressed strongly enough.

Watch the fluid that drains, and when it is nice and red, and clean looking, then you know that you've flushed as much of the old fluid as you're going to get.

This method will get the most old fluid out, and is essentially what the dealership will do. It will also use the least amount of new trans fluid.