Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal Randomly Comes on.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:41 PM
Default Turn Signal Randomly Comes on.

I tried using the search function but the right thread didn't come up. If someone knows of a link, please post it thanks....

My 2009 Ford F-150 XL has 18K miles on it. Recently. Simply driving down the road, my right turn signal started flashing although it was in the central (neutral) position. The only way to stop it was put the turn signal into the left turn position. It stopped the right turn, but eventually it resets and the left blinker starts because of its position. When I put it back to neutral, eventually the right one starts blinking again. I read SOMEwhere that others are having the same issue. I am looking for the right answer before I spend a ton of $$$ buying the wrong part!

thanks!

frontstmaui-

PS- Vehicle is out of Warranty so that is out.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:29 PM

That is strange. Looks very technical. Why not calling the nearby ford dealership's service department and ask them? May be they have a quick solution?

Old 07-01-2014, 09:11 AM

Most of the time something like this is confined to the signal lever on the steering column.
With today's cars and the loads of electronic equipment strange things happen and are not even related.
For example, if there is a poor ground somewhere in the system that circuit can find it's way to ground through something entirely unrelated and in this case it could be the right turn signal system.
Usually we tackle the obvious first and it just might only be the signal switch on the column.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:33 PM

After some research, I have been told to check the under dash signal relay. It is a small flip phone size black case that is reachable from the drivers side steering column area. I am a big guy and do not fit so well, but it is a couple of accessible bolt holding it to the firewall and a releasable clip. There are 2 relays. A black one and a smaller blue one. They say the blue one is the culprit. I will take photos of the case and of the relays when I open it and detail the repair..... If it works.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:34 PM

BTW... I try the cheapest/easiest fix first... I can't find a matching OEM knockoff signal cluster. Only the $160 motorcraft one. and shipping to Hawaii is a bitch....

Old 07-07-2014, 01:51 PM

Some of the cars have modules all over the place. There is a lighting module , a front lighting module , a rear lighting module and on & on. Because only the R/S signal is presently involved , I would think that leaves out any of the lighting modules. They don't usually have a separate relay for each direction signal so I really don't believe any relay is involved here , but I could be wrong. Were you able to check with a Ford service dept to possibly confirm the advice you received?

Old 07-09-2014, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Most of the time something like this is confined to the signal lever on the steering column.
With today's cars and the loads of electronic equipment strange things happen and are not even related.
For example, if there is a poor ground somewhere in the system that circuit can find it's way to ground through something entirely unrelated and in this case it could be the right turn signal system.
Usually we tackle the obvious first and it just might only be the signal switch on the column.
Originally Posted by hanky
Some of the cars have modules all over the place. There is a lighting module , a front lighting module , a rear lighting module and on & on. Because only the R/S signal is presently involved , I would think that leaves out any of the lighting modules. They don't usually have a separate relay for each direction signal so I really don't believe any relay is involved here , but I could be wrong. Were you able to check with a Ford service dept to possibly confirm the advice you received?

hanky, my friend, sometimes just a little nudge is needed by someone to give you the confidence to do something. I HATE electrical work. Absolutely HATE IT. But you pushed me to at least LOOK. I got myself upside down in my pickup cab and thrust my head under the dash with my cell phone light. (No easy feat for a 6'5" 320lb guy BTW) And saw a wire harness from the steering column into that little black case I told everyone about. Had a buddy unhook the harness and take it out. I turned on the vehicle and the turn signals worked perfectly. I google the piece and it turns out to be the AC/Heat blend motor. The wiring harness is connected through all of it and apparently there WAS a short in that connection. Because I re-installed the motor and harness and everything is working perfectly including the blend motor.

RE: Modules.. I am told if you take out the Car Stereo, the Case that holds the in dash module is through that hole and down to the left. Which is a fairly simple access if you take the 2 8mm screws out of the little coin holder above the stereo under the small little rubber mat. U then take the trim off the side (clips) Accessible by removing the A/C covers to the left and right of control panel.

NOTE: Truck worked and signaled properly all afternoon yesterday while driving it around town including turning off the engine and restarting it several times. Got in it today and it immediately started flashing again. Removed the same relays and harnesses I did yesterday but nothing helped. I hate the thought of paying some Ford Technician hundreds to tell me it is broken. Which I already know. I am sure this is going to be some minor thing I end up paying $400 or more to fix. ANYBODY???

Last edited by frontstmaui; 07-10-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:43 PM
Default frontstmaui

Frontstmaui,

I am wondering if you ever fixed this problem because I have the exact same problem on a 2008 mercury mariner

Old 07-26-2023, 11:36 PM
Default Turn signal randomly comes on. Did you fix it.

How did you fix it? I have a 2008 Ford Expedition. Right turn signal activates while multifunction switch is in neutral. I'm guessing that it's a relay problem. The only way to get the right turn to shut down is to put the multifunction switch in the left turn position. It will shut down then and then eventually the left turn starts flashing so I return to neutral and then without activation the right turn starts again.