Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Vibration Issue 2004 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Default Vibration Issue 2004 F-150

Hi Guys...I'm a newbie on this site and have a question for you.

I have a 2004 F-150 4x4 with 80K kilometers (50K miles) and I can't get rid of a vibration issue....this all started a few months ago when i heard a distinct rattling/clicking underneath the truck...then came some vibration. Took it into the Ford dealership and was told that the u-joint was toast and that the outer tie rods were shot...note that the front end was replaced unser warranty at 43K kilometers (ball joints, tie rods, upper and lower bearings on the steering shaft). I told Ford to replace the u-joint only which they did and then told me that the vibration was still there...I also had 4 new tires installed prior to the u-joint/vibration issue along with new brakes all around... I've waited 1 month and finally decided to get the tie rods replaced this morning, along with getting the tire balancing checked, rotated the tires, and had a steering alignment done...The mechanic is scratching his head now as to what is causing the vibration .....I am heading up to Northern Ontaio for a 5 day ice fishing adventure and I just don't know what to do anymore..........ANY SUGGESTIONS?????????

Thanks,
Steve

Old 02-23-2010, 02:20 PM

only 50k....mounts dont wear out this fast very often...

but...I have seen vibrations when motor/tranny mounts wear out..

Check the tranny mounts....sometimes when the rubber padding in a mount wears out you will have metal on metal and the vibrations will travel from the tranny/motor to the frame...and you will feel it...

easy way to check is have someone in the cab...with E-brake set..and mashing the brake to the floor (in other words..BE carefull) drop vehicle in forward gear and then gently rev the motor (gently..your not doing a burnout!)....watch to see if motor moves around inside engine compartment or "clunks"....then get under vehicle and watch tranny mounts in much the same way...see if you can see mounts "separate" or clunk....indicating they are worn out and need to be replaced...
drop into reverse gear and repeat to check other mounts on other side of tranny if needed..

if not...try and jack up vehicle onto four jackstands.....put into gear and rev till you feel vibration..try to listen.....then narrow it down with a big screwdriver...place SD on different parts of frame/partds of truck and place other end on your head next to your ear....kinda like a stethoscope..

find where the vibration feels strongest....

above all...BE CAREFULL....running a vehicle in those two methods can be dangerous....take all safety precautions....

good luck...

could be a misfire.....engine running rough can give a wierd vibration..

hope that helps you narrow it down..

Old 02-23-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by digital_diversion
only 50k....mounts dont wear out this fast very often...

but...I have seen vibrations when motor/tranny mounts wear out..

Check the tranny mounts....sometimes when the rubber padding in a mount wears out you will have metal on metal and the vibrations will travel from the tranny/motor to the frame...and you will feel it...

easy way to check is have someone in the cab...with E-brake set..and mashing the brake to the floor (in other words..BE carefull) drop vehicle in forward gear and then gently rev the motor (gently..your not doing a burnout!)....watch to see if motor moves around inside engine compartment or "clunks"....then get under vehicle and watch tranny mounts in much the same way...see if you can see mounts "separate" or clunk....indicating they are worn out and need to be replaced...
drop into reverse gear and repeat to check other mounts on other side of tranny if needed..

if not...try and jack up vehicle onto four jackstands.....put into gear and rev till you feel vibration..try to listen.....then narrow it down with a big screwdriver...place SD on different parts of frame/partds of truck and place other end on your head next to your ear....kinda like a stethoscope..

find where the vibration feels strongest....

above all...BE CAREFULL....running a vehicle in those two methods can be dangerous....take all safety precautions....

good luck...

could be a misfire.....engine running rough can give a wierd vibration..

hope that helps you narrow it down..
Thanks for the reply.....I can rule out the engine vibration because I turned the ignition off while driving and the vibration was still there....I also put the truck in neutral and tried coasting and the vibration was still there...

Another thing I didn't mention was that the vibration changes with speeds....it is VERY evident that the vibration is there at 50mph where you can visibly feel and see the sterring wheel shake...it starts around 35mph and actually almost disappears at 65 - 70mph

Old 02-24-2010, 03:00 AM

you ruled out tires and tie rods...since vibration changes with speed....then I would look at U-joints again or possibly the front wheel drive axles....especially since you feel it through your steering wheel. This would lead me to believe that it is front end related.

I would jack up the rear end and get rear wheels off the ground and then run it up to the speed where you are feeling this vibration and see if the vibration is still there. If the vibration is no longer there than you know it is front and related.............you have narrowed it down to something in the front...