Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Where to find VIN #'s on each part of truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 08:35 PM
Exclamation Where to find VIN #'s on each part of truck

Ok, So sort of a long story,,, but basically need to find out where the VIN #'s are on each part of the F-150. I am specifically looking for one on the hood. Not the one at the base of the windshield, but on the ACTUAL hood itself. I have looked and can not seem to find one. I purchased my truck last year from a dealer used, and was shown a clean CarFax but have reason to believe that it was in a wreck and only cosmetic repairs done. I have had nothing but issues with the truck since purchased and the dealership is not fixing the issues, and refuse to replace the truck with something comparable without me owing money on this truck and go up in price range on a New base model truck.

Any help finding the VIN on the ACTUAL hood is greatly appreciated!

2012 FORD F-150 FX4 V8 Ecoboost

Last edited by FordF150FX4; 03-21-2016 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Vehicle specs added
Old 03-22-2016, 02:00 PM

Welcome on a board !!

Old 03-23-2016, 04:34 AM

"2012 FORD F-150 FX4 V8 Ecoboost"...It's one or the other (a V8 or 3.5 Ecoboost)

The only problem with a CarFax report is this...

If it's not reported, then it doesn't show up. So, unless you can prove that the Dealer knew about it, you have nothing to stand on. Heck our 2007 Focus has a clean CarFax report with only one owner, but it also has had body repairs done on it. My son even had a 2006 Mercedes CLS500 that had front end damage repaired that didn't show on CarFax. That's because the original owner that my son bought it from paid for the repairs with cash to avoid an insurance claim (A.K.A. high risk driver).

Ford used to put vin stickers on the front fenders, hood and rear desk lid (our 2010 MKZ has them). Don't know if they still do. Didn't notice any on my 2015 F-150, but I'll take a double look.

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 03-23-2016 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
"2012 FORD F-150 FX4 V8 Ecoboost"...It's one or the other (a V8 or 3.5 Ecoboost)

If it's not reported, then it doesn't show up. So, unless you can prove that the Dealer knew about it, you have nothing to stand on. Heck our 2007 Focus has a clean CarFax report with only one owner, but it also has had body repairs done on it. My son even had a 2006 Mercedes CLS500 that had front end damage repaired that didn't show on CarFax. That's because the original owner that my son bought it from paid for the repairs with cash to avoid an insurance claim (A.K.A. high risk driver).

Ford used to put vin stickers on the front fenders, hood and rear desk lid (our 2010 MKZ has them). Don't know if they still do. Didn't notice any on my 2015 F-150, but I'll take a double look.
100% agree, CarFax is only going to show reported accidents. It is unlikely that the VIN is going to be stamped anywhere on the vehicle other than the door jamb or the lower LH side of the windshield. The only chance you have is a possible sticker that may or may not be there because of one of two reasons, the stickers came of or a part was replaced. It is going to be impossible for you to prove one way or the other unless you find a sticker with a VIN that doesn't match your vehicle and even then it will be impossible to prove that the dealer had knowledge of the repairs. I am sorry about your situation and I hope you find a resolution that works for you.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense

Great info. Thanks for sharing !!