Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

'06 F250 Exhaust Manifold Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Lightbulb '06 F250 Exhaust Manifold Leak

Had a right side exhaust mainfold leak. Dealer wanted $800 to fix it. Took it to a RELIABLE shop and for $860, they replaced BOTH exhaust manifolds with new (OEM) manifolds, and new gaskets (OEM) and installed new bolts (DIFFERENT FROM ORIGINAL).

Thing is: the right side upper shock tower had to be removed from the frame to get to one of the bolts! It was do that, or pull the engine... The dealer said they would have to do the same thing! They remounted the upper shock tower with 5 high grade bolts. They found I had 2 broken bolts on the right side, and one broken on the left side, -glad I had both sides done, even though the left side was not making any noise (-not leaking). One right side bolt had to be drilled out, -they used a jig set up to drill it. (-Better to not watch this being done...!) Bottom line they did a great job!

This, exhaust manifold bolt problem, I have learned, is a fairly COMMON problem with the 5.4L engines. Which are otherwise , in my opinion, a very good engine. This truck only has 38,500 miles on it, and is very well maintained. I though FORD should have done the right thing for a KNOWN problem and fixed it, but they said no way. Hope this info helps someone else who may sadly run into this problem.

Last edited by Paul L; 03-20-2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Default 4.6 l V8 exhaust minifold

I have an 06, 4.6l V8 and over the summer the right side exhaust manifold warped and the became very noisey at start up. I have it repairs to the tune of $800. Now the right side is making the noise. Who designed this and why I Ford not stepping up to the plate and admitting they have a terrible design then fixing the issue????

I wrote FMC to find out. Here is the string:

It is disturbing at best to know a product was manufactured to fail. I guess it will take air quality testing and verificaiton that the hazardous fumes can enter the viehicle cabin as a result of the leaking exhaust manifold. Not please at having to invest another $800 to bring my vehicle up to specification by having to replace a part that should have been designed to last as long as the engine itself.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 4:54 PM, <crcfmc@ford.com> wrote:
My name is ***** with the Ford Customer Relationship Center and I am sorry to hear about the cold start concern on your 2006 Mercury Mountaineer.

I truly understand the inconvenience that you are going through as a result of this concern on your vehicle.

As much as we would like to assist every Ford customer with issues that arise after the warranty has expired, your vehicle is outside of all applicable warranties and there are no recalls for this concern that would provide assistance for this repair.

In the meantime, I have documented your concern in our system and I do recommend that your concern be repaired by Middleton Ford as they have factory trained technicians that will put your vehicle back into Ford’s specifications. Ford Motor Company will also provide a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty (which ever occurs first), to any properly installed new Ford or Ford remanufactured part or accessory found to be defective in factory supplied material or workmanship during the service parts or accessory warranty.
Also, I recommend that you keep your repair receipts in case Ford initiates a recall or Customer Satisfaction Program in the future based on customer feedback or further engineering review of similar complaints.

Our sincerest apologies if our response couldn't be more favorable on your behalf. Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,
*****Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

Sometimes e-mail communication does not allow us to gain additional information that may be helpful in responding to your inquiry. Should you feel that we have not adequately addressed your questions, please feel free to contact us via telephone at (800)392-3673 between the hours of 8am and 5pm, local time, Monday through Friday. Hearing-impaired callers with access to a TDD may contact 1-800-232-5952. Should you need it in the future, your reference number is 641740052.

For online support visit us at: www.customersaskford.com which contains answers to frequently asked questions and links to other key product and service information.

Ford Confidentiality:
--------------------
For security reasons, please do not submit any sensitive personally identifiable information, such as credit card numbers, driver license number, SSN, DOB, etc. Thank you.

[THREAD ID:1-64L62C]

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 1/5/2012 02:58:40 PM
To:
Subject: Vehicle Service Issues

Ford Motor Company
Main Topic: VehicleServiceIssues
Your Inquiry: I purchased a 2006 V8 Mountaineer Premier Edition from a local dealer about 18 months ago and am not pleased. I just replaced the right side exhaust manifold (warped) and one week later I am being told the continued ticking at cold start is the left side going bad. What is the deal here. The truck only has 70k miles on it and the exhaust manifolds went bad. My major frustration is that I have always owned Hondas and other Japan made autos/trucksover the past 38 years of driving but feeling I needed to support our country bought a Ford product due to your reputation. I can't afford the repair on the left side now and it really stinks. The estimated cost is just under $800 and I just spent $300 changing the plugs (holy crap right?) and $800 on the right side manifold. I am really hoping Ford will stand behind such a poor design and step up with some help paying for the requried repairs. Thank you.
Owner: Yes