Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

06 reverse light wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Default 06 reverse light wiring help

I want to add a set of reverse projector lights i bought to help me see at night when in reverse. Each light has a power & ground wire coming out of them. Grounding them is easy. What i want to know is can i splice the power wire into the power wire of the factory reverse light to have them come on automatically when i put it in reverse? I've taken the tailight assembly off and can see 2 wires going into the reverse light connector. They're a little dirty but one appears solid black and one appears to be black with a white or blue stripe on it. Which one is the power line and can i simply splice the power line of the projector lights into that line to have them (all 4; 2 factory & 2 projector lights) come on when put in reverse? Or will this blow a fuse or short anything out? As another option: i have the upfitter switches from the factory in the truck. Can i just add the lights to one of those to control them manually? Which of the 4 switches do i need to use? Can i just run the power wire of the lights to the switch or do i need to use an inline fuse and wire it up like a regular auxillary light kit? The reverse projector kit was expensive but came with no directions.