Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

1969 F250 Ranger w/ 390 Having Fuel Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Default 1969 F250 Ranger w/ 390 Having Fuel Problems

So I just bought my baby in January and I've already replaced tons of parts on her, mostly electrical. I did replace the mechanical fuel pump with another mechanical with an on the pump filter and kept the in line filter, which I replaced a couple months ago, as well. Here's the issue. With a low tank of gas, I drove my daughter about 30 minutes away yesterday and she sputtered and died on the drive back. I checked the in line filter and it was empty so I assumed it was a fuel issue. I walked to the gas station and got a can of gas, poured some in the carb and the rest in the tank and got her running again so figured it was the gas being too low and maybe my sending unit , new bobber and gasket but still the old unit and wires, was a little off. Today I drove my daughter out there again, summer camp, but with a full tank of gas. This time she sputtered and died on the way out and I couldn't get her to fire back up. I have starter fluid in the truck so I gave the carb some of that and she fired but she won't hold the idle. Again, the filter is empty. So I walked my kid the rest of the way to camp and when I walked back the filter had fuel. I tried to fire her up but it's the same issue, she won't hold the idle. It's not especially hot today or yesterday. It has been raining bucket loads lately but the filter didn't appear to have any water in it. Is it the damned pump again? If so, why am I replacing it twice in less than 6 months? Is this a bigger issue? Thanks to anyone who can help!

Old 06-14-2016, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Pick up in the tank?,, is the tank venting?

If you suspect the pump (inlet line checked and is clear back to the tank) see if the pump tests for suction/vacuum and output pressure. With all the cheap aftermarket,, a second pump issue wouldn't be unheard of, but I'd check its inlet supply for restrictions, and a test for output pressure 'and' volume so not to replace good parts. And certainly that the system is venting, so that it doesn't stall the pump suction..

Old 06-14-2016, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site..

Pick up in the tank?,, is the tank venting?

If you suspect the pump (inlet line checked and is clear back to the tank) see if the pump tests for suction/vacuum and output pressure. With all the cheap aftermarket,, a second pump issue wouldn't be unheard of, but I'd check its inlet supply for restrictions, and a test for output pressure 'and' volume so not to replace good parts. And certainly that the system is venting, so that it doesn't stall the pump suction..
It has an in-cab tank but the tank is not an EEC style tank. There's no venting on the line as far as I can tell. How would you recommend I check the inlet lines?

Old 06-15-2016, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Venting was through the fuel cap. Make sure someone didn't install a newer non vented unit.
Best way to check inlet flow would be to pull a vacuum at the pump connection/line and check for sufficient fuel volume. Or, you can remove the fuel cap and apply lite compressed air, should easily bubble the tanks fuel, but pulling from the inlet line is a better choice. More so if the tank happens to contain any debris.

If the lines check, correct cap, you might have another look at the pump.