Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

1986 Ford F-250 Trim.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Default 1986 Ford F-250 Trim.

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a 1986 ford F-250 with a 302 and manual four transmission. I know a lot about the trims of the '80s to '86s, but I haven't seen the truck myself yet, and in the picture the badge is unclear. All I know is that it has the cab lights, it's four wheel drive, has chrome windshield trim, chrome bumper and headlight trim, handles on the cab to help you up in (which I'm assuming is factory because it was an option at one time), and headrests on the seats (more comfortable seats came with higher models). But I still can't place the trim. I'm just unsure and would like to know.
If it helps, here are all the trims and options packages for the '80s to '86s:

• Base – equal to the Custom of the previous years.
  • Custom- Base model, usually equipped with manual locks/windows, color-keyed vinyl seat and dashboard, and black rubber floor mat. However, a Custom trim truck could still share some of the same options as the higher Ranger-Ranger Lariat trim trucks. A steering wheel cover and Ford logo above the radio was optional. Chrome door handles outside the cab to hoist the buyer up and into the cab were also optional. On trucks without air conditioning, vents were not installed into the dashboard, giving the driver only two choices for air direction - "Defrost" and "Heat", with "Heat" on a non-A/C truck being the equivalent of "Floor" on a truck with A/C. The lack of vents on the dashboard does have an advantage, as it leaves a lot of room for the installation of aftermarket gauges.
  • Ranger- Intermediate trim that added a color-keyed floor mat, chrome trim on the door panels,and Rosewood dash and horn pad trim.
  • XL – replaced the intermediate Ranger trim for 1982 as the Ranger name would be used for Ford's new compact truck.
  • XLS- a new trim level that featured a blacked-out grille, bumpers, headlight bezels, and windshield trim. It also featured a stripe graphics package and black and silver dash trim. Available exterior colors were red, silver, and black.
  • XLT Lariat- featured floor carpeting, color-keyed headliner, a standard chrome grille, and optional power windows/door locks. 1984 saw the last year for woodgrain trim on the door panels as 1985–1986 models had a carpeted section applied to the door panels. In 1985 the tailgate trim was changed to a "flat" full width aluminum with a red "reflector" towards the bottom with chrome FORD letters.
  • Explorer a limited edition options and trim group with optional year specific stripes unique to the Explorer– The Explorer trim line (1968–1986) was dropped for the 1987 models to introduce the Ford Explorer SUV in 1991. Explorer packages changed every year,and were only offered for a limited time each model year.
  • Eddie Bauer-introduced for 1985, an outdoors-themed interior trim package with two-tone exterior paint.
I know the truck is not an Explorer edition, as my father owns one of those and I could place it. It's also not an Eddie Bauer I don't think, I'm thinking an XLS or XLT Lariat, maybe. I just can't seem to place the trim knowing what I know, so hopefully someone can help, it'd be really appreciated! Also, all I can see from the trim decal is that it's a longer name, so maybe that helps.
Any and all replies are appreciated! Thanks so much!

Last edited by lezleemckenzie; 10-12-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Spelling Error