Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

1987 f-350 460 vacuum line help

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 01:34 AM
Exclamation 1987 f-350 460 vacuum line help

Hey guys I'm somewhat new to this site. I've recently bought a truck, they guys sold it as is without any of the smog equipment hooked up. This is a problem because I have to get it snogged being as I'm from California. I have all the equipment I think, I just have no clue where all of these lines go. The truck has what looks to be a new carb on it without the fuel bowl vents that normally have lines hooked up to them. I've looked everywhere for something easier to read than the diagram under my hood. It would really help if someone took pictures of their engine and traced the lines. This is my last hope before just taking it to a shop and forking out the cash. PS the truck runs great and was well taken care of.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:12 AM

usually, the underhood emission label has a vacuum hose routing diagram.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:09 AM

Yes it has that but it's really difficult for me to trace everything off of it since some of the parts I have are not original. The carb is different and the headers have been changed out. I'm not sure how to hook up the charcoal canisters because my new carb doesn't have fuel vent ports.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

There may lie a problem. All the lines an equipment will need to be hooked up and operable. If you don't or can't vent the bowls- canister, then you may need to source the OE parts, fab the connections etc or possibly a visit to the Smog Ref.
I went through something similar ( but in No.Ca) with my 77 Dodge van. The vacuum amp was only partially working, and the carb throttle stepper was gone. We don't have Dyno testing so it may be easier for the Ol girl to pass, but to comply I had to moc up an aftermarket vacuum pot/motor and with a series of a vacuum switch and a vacuum delay valve was able to create the function for EGR to satisfy the smog station, even though not OE equipment. Bay Area test facilities and regs tend to be more rigid.. Depending on what's missing/ non op, you may be able to do a value/emission reduction with the Ref.and DMV. Like with mine, emission parts, good working parts, are hard to find. Should be with the older iron, as long as they would pass a tailpipe emission reading,,, good to go....

Don't have a routing/equipment image, but if you need help with the underwood is no problem..