Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

1990 F250 BigBlock Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Default 1990 F250 BigBlock Issue

Hey everyone

Here is my issue: I have a 1990 F250 King Lariat XLT 460 FI
mileage says 70 prolly 170 I dont know (lots of rust)

I have a manual temp guage that goes from 100 - 300 typically truck hits 210 thermostat opens and it goes down to 180.

On a long highway trip heater hose popped and I only happen to notice temp spike to 300, I pulled over and coolant was shooting out liek a steam engine.
I waited till temp dropped to 180 and hoped it was a small leak it was dark out and I didnt want to meet the cops since I wasnt inspected registered etc.

I get 10 feet down the road and temp JUMPS right to 300 buried needle might be hotter but gas station is .2 miles so I coast it in and shut down.
Long story short I fill emptry radiator and race home which is 2 miles gets back to 280 temp by the time i hit the driveway.

I fixed the hose refilled with new coolant started engine which started fine and let it idle for an hour no problems everything seems perfect!!!!!

EXCEPT:
No when I start engine cold it idles rough for a few seconds till it warms up (never did that before)
and while idling if I touch accelerator lightly it tried to stall and I get a small puff of what smells like gas out the exhaust as it tried to fix self. it usually recovers or if I feather the gas it catches gas and revs strong.
If I try this and it stalls it wont restart for a good minute or so. (flooded? i dont know) then it will start normal..

If I let engine warm up for a solid ten minutes or until 190 degrees than it runs flawless in all scenarios.

I looked at plugs they dont seem bad I looked at cap and wires they look good I looked at air filter it looks good. I dont even know if this is related to the heat issue I had a few days ago or not... I dont see bubbling or oil in coolant. I sitll need to do good tune up since car hasnt run much since last dec. just one 20 miles trip with coolant issue above and a 1 hour idle session and a short 1 mile trip.....

I was thinking perhaps headgasket praying not,
perhaps clogged air intake somewhere beside filter?
perhaps injectors? (but once warm it runs ok so not sure)

Anyway one have any ideas or experience with this sort of thing?
What changes from cold to hot that could cause this other than some expanding gaskets? (hopes not)