Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

1997 f250 diesel has "UNINTENTIONAL" lope... help!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Default 1997 f250 diesel has "UNINTENTIONAL" lope... help!?

I was driving my step dad's 1997 f250 (against his will) and it was fine all day, then we went up hill and started losing power... FAST. went from 56 to 30 in ten seconds and was still declining cuz it just didnt have power to get up a hill.... and i had the petal to the metal. now ive heard some diesel's if they work hard and than barely work, they go into a "lint mode" or something. so i figured if i turned it off and started it back up, it would be fine. so i pulled over and killed the motor.... tried to start er back up and she turned over once than on my second try. she started but had a SEVERE lope. i DO NOT have a tune on this truck . lol everything is bone stock. it loped twice and than had a nasty idle. i decided i better try and get it home. but by the time i made it home it had no *****. was seriously a turd. shut her off than tried to start er again and she loped once and than idled "okay". so i shut her off and gave her time.... few hours later. tried again. she started, loped 4 times than stalled. so i called a buddy who's a diesel mechanic and he said all of my injectors sounded good, and his laptop didnt pull any codes for it when he hooked it up... than he said it could be my fuel pumpp but with the 97's the pumps in the tank so its gotta be on a lift... i dont have one at my house lol. BUT ... he also said low oil could mess stuff up. so i checked that and she was SEVERELY low on oil... filled that up and let it sit, than started it and she loped but stayed on. IDK what to do!!! i have no clue what it could be!

Old 06-12-2010, 02:58 PM

Cam sensors can make them do all kinds of weird things I have also had problems with the highspeed oil pump on the 7.3 both of those wouldnt show up on a programmer. You can check your fuel pump by pulling the lid off you fuel filter and turning the key on. If you are getting fuel it probably isnt your fuel pump.