Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

1998 ford f250 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 08:47 PM
Default 1998 ford f250 2wd

Hello,

I have a ford f250 2wd 7lug 5.4 v8. My front spindle is hot can only keep hands on for a few seconds before it starts to burn. I have replaced the wheel bearings and I didn't over tighten them rotor spins freely. Replaced both front calipers and brake pads. Still hot. Is this normal for a 2wd? I know on a 4x4 that means the bearings are bad. Anybody have any ideas thanks for the help

Old 03-20-2016, 10:16 PM

A few questions,
How does the wheel that seems hot compare to the other front wheel?
When you replaced the calipers did you clean and lube the caliper pins?
Are you checking the wheels after some heavy braking?
If there is air trapped in the caliper, when it gets warm will expand and cause some brake drag.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
A few questions,
If there is air trapped in the caliper, when it gets warm will expand and cause some brake drag.
It seems hotter the my passenger side. For the brake pads sliders I put bearing grease in where the pads slide. I also bleed all 4 wheels. I drove to my friends house check when I got out they were cold. Drove back from friends house and thenthe driver side was hot. Other then normal braking for traffic lights or cars that's was it.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
A few questions,
It seems hotter the my passenger side. For the brake pads sliders I put bearing grease in where the pads slide. I also bleed all 4 wheels. I drove to my friends house check when I got out they were cold. Drove back from friends house and thenthe driver side was hot. Other then normal braking for traffic lights or cars that's was it.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:53 PM

The calipers bolt to 2 pins that allow the entire caliper to slide. Those are the pins I am referring to. They must be removed, pin surface cleaned and holes the pins go into must be cleaned out also,then lubricated with a synthetic grease that will not harm the rubber boots when installed. It does sound like one or both of the pins on the side that is getting hot are jammed full of rust, dirt ,etc. and may be difficult to slide. The caliper should have a little clearance at both top and bottom so it has room to move. Filing the rust off the spindle where the caliper slides also helps a lot.