Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2000 Excursion A/C leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 01:17 AM
Default 2000 Excursion A/C leak

I just replaced the hoses assembly from the compressor up to the accumulator(the bigger hose) and the smaller hose down into a block attached to the side of the radiator. That connection, started hissing after I connected, passing the recharge 134a. I unbolted it again and tried to see if something in the way to keep it from seating.

My feeling is it is the o-ring inside, but not sure if I just upsize it?? Does anyone have any ideas on this matter.

Thanks,

Tim

Old 06-08-2015, 04:02 AM

New O-rings installed? Why was the hose assembly replaced? Does the hose fitting slip right onto the condenser connection with no twisting, turning or any other effort to get it seated? Did you apply some PAG oil to the O-Ring before putting the connection together? IF pressure is required to install the hose fitting onto the condenser connector, I would try installing it before connecting the hose assemble to the compressor. You can also pressure test with nitrogen to ensure all fittings are good under pressure before pulling a vacuum to charge the system. Being able to hold a good vacuum doesn't necessarily mean that the system can hold a charge under operating pressure.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:45 AM

thanks for response. I did not install new o-ring it came with one on it but I did not oil it, I will try that, and try using a fatter o-ring to hopefully get a better seal.

where or how do you get nitrogen to use for testing? I definitely want something cheaper than 134A at ~$18 a can wasted.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:39 AM

Welding supply vendor should have small tanks. $18 a can for R-134a? Where are you buying it? Tractor Supply sells it for $7 a can. You need only plain gas, no sealer or oil charge cans. Too mush oil in the system will liquid lug and kill the compressor. Seen that too many times from FIY folks not knowing or thinking that they do.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:19 PM

How important is it to evacuate the system prior to adding new 134a?

Old 06-15-2015, 03:55 AM

Any time the system is opened, or the charge is lost, moisture is introduced into the system. Technically, it is recommended that the dryer/receiver be replaced anytime the system is opened. The vacuum will boil off and remove pretty much all of the moisture that may be in the system (Once I reach 29.9 Hg of vacuum, I continue to vacuum for another hour). Also, it's easier to charge the system when it's under a vacuum verses trying to add a charge to a system that is starting at static pressure. The system will also perform better when charged properly under a vacuum.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:22 PM

So on the connections to the condenser and evaporator, they take a small o-ring to seal. On the bottom part the "block" I'll call it, connects to the compressor for those 2 hose runs...there isn't a place for orings, is there some seal or gasket something that's supposed to go there? When I took off it didn't seem like there was anything here

Thanks

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Any time the system is opened, or the charge is lost, moisture is introduced into the system. Technically, it is recommended that the dryer/receiver be replaced anytime the system is opened. The vacuum will boil off and remove pretty much all of the moisture that may be in the system (Once I reach 29.9 Hg of vacuum, I continue to vacuum for another hour). Also, it's easier to charge the system when it's under a vacuum verses trying to add a charge to a system that is starting at static pressure. The system will also perform better when charged properly under a vacuum.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:32 AM

Should be an O-Ring for the suction and liquid side of the block that bolts to the compressor. Every one that I ever worked on had O-Rings there. It's the only way it will seal. Have you looked at the original assembly to see what it had? Even a new/reman'd compressor will come with a plastic block bolted to it that has O-Rings sealing the suction and liquid sides.

What engine do you have and do you have rear A/C?