Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2002 F250 Power Windows and AM/ FM

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:39 PM

Thank you for this post, was able to use the jumper to get my windows up before the rain came in tonight. My terminal #86 did not seem to have ground. Any tips on further tests or what to do to fix this?

Old 10-17-2012, 07:18 PM

Hey i am having the same issue with the widows and radio i to will give this a shot and i have a couple other truck same year make and model with the same issue ill give this a shot

Old 10-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Default Bridging relay

Ok, bridging the 30 to 87 closes the windows and operates the radio in my case. Instead of taking all the wiring apart would it be possible to hook up the bridge to a relay to activate when the ignition switch is on? A fused relay as a fog light relay perhaps with a 10 amp fuse protecting it.

Originally Posted by Hayapower
The way that power is distributed to the P/W's and radio is through a 'battery saver' relay (integrated into the instrument cluster, and is not servicable) and the instrument cluster also has a micro processor built in to control the battery saver and accessory relays ground leg on the coil side of the relay. When a ground is supplied, the relays magnetic coil will pull the relay contacts closed and complete the circuit or 12v flow on out to the Accesory delay relay in the Central Junction Fuse box (CJB)..

Couple test you can try when it drops out are....

First,, pull the accessory delay relay out, and check for 'Hot at all times' voltage on the #30 leg 'inside' the relays plug (the relay legs are generally numbered on the backside of the relay).. If it test out ok, then cycle the key to On and check for 12v on the #85 connector leg.. There should be power there (#85) if the battery saver relay has been commanded closed.. If either of the relay legs are dead, double check the two 10amp fuses in the CJB.. Try wiggling them when operating the windows.. I've seen a few cases when fuse taps/splices that damage the fuse connections from over spreading the fuse contacts.. The #86 should be a 'grounding' leg on the accessory delay relay connector if the micro processor is still in control..

Being that you used to be able to give the dash a 'love tap' and the systems would work for some time makes me lean towards the cluster/proccessor failing, but could be a power distribution problem from a fuse/contact.. Water intrusion into the back of the GEM module and running on down in to the back of the CJB causing corrosion issues was a common problem too, but usually will make for some weird operations..

Last.. If/when the system drops out,, remove the relay and use a test wire/lead and 'bridge' the #30 and #87 relay connections.. This will take the battery saver/accessory relays out of the equation and the windows and radio should come back on.. But only as a test..

Here's a quick diagram on the legs to 12v test, then a connection to bridge as a test..

Old 11-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Default 2002 f250 cluster ?? or vsm

Hi all
my psf250 diesel 4x4 , has an issue . the door ajar lite always on , 4x4 indicator in op . and delay assc dont work ..ive checked all fuses and relays and swaped them all , cleaned door jamb switches ... and still nothing ..also instrument gauges sweep and radio stays..did i say one issue
replace cluster ???

Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 AM

Thanks very much to Hayapower. I joined when I was started having this issue and didn't know how to diagnose. Reading this post helps me solve the problem. Turned out to be just a bad fuse...#41 instrument cluster. I didn't check this one before because it didn't seem relevant.

I appreciate the help!

Old 03-28-2016, 10:34 PM
Default How do i wire in a temp wire?

If the processor or battery saver is failed, the fix would normally be a new/reman/used cluster.. Or, you can do a temp fix by adding a 12v wire (fused for 10amps) either onto the #85 leg of the relay, or, on the wire (LG/YE) coming out of the back of the CJB.. It should be 12v power with the KEY ON/ACC but you will loose the battery saver functions if a jumper is used..

If you add a temp wire, and the grounding is still good to/for the relays the radio and windows should work as before, but with no 'timed ON control' with the doors closed and the ignition off.. Or any battery saver function should interior lamps be left on ect....

Hayapower

How would i go about wiring in a temporary wire? How would i hook up to the #85 leg of the relay?
Thanks

Old 03-28-2016, 10:36 PM

How do i wire in a temp wire? How would i hook up to the #85 leg of the relay?

Old 03-29-2016, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site,,

Make sure you list Series/Year. Usually not an issue, but with wiring, want to make sure we're all on the same page...

Old 03-29-2016, 11:26 AM

2002 f-250 diesel.
Thanks

Old 03-29-2016, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

When you read post #3, there are a few test points/circuits to check.

So,, verified theres no 12v power distribution on #85 at the accessory delay socket? Guessing no since your reading the posts.. Are the other circuits there active on the delay relay? Hot at all times #30, and grounding of the accessory delay relay is triggered and verified with Key On? If there's no active ground there, limits the options.

Quick Reply: 2002 F250 Power Windows and AM/ FM