Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2002 F250 Power Windows and AM/ FM

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:02 AM

No power at #85 leg. There is always power at #30 leg. How would i go about testing for a good ground with a multimeter? All fuses are good as well. Tried a new relay and that didnt work.
Thanks

Old 03-30-2016, 09:10 AM

Also if the ground is good, what can i do? And if the ground is bad, what can i do
Thanks

Old 03-30-2016, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Make absolutely sure both fuses,, F2.41 10amp, and F2.35 10amp in the CJB are good,, tested across both tabs with a light or meter. They must prove out active. Both will be 'Hot at all times', so no need to cycle the key.

Both of those fuses/circuits are power distribution into the Battery Saver Relay and in part power function for the Delay Relay. If both fuses prove out, and you still have no 12v at #85 on the Accessory Delay socket, then one of a few things has happened..

First step, which you've already done is to look for 12v on #85 (may need to test a few drop out possibilities there later- cluster and CJB connectors)
Next, is to look to see if the Instumeny Cluster processor is still commanding the 'ground' for both the Battery Saver and Delay Relay. The Delay Relay is the only one you can test, so if you have a DVOM, set it on the ohm/continuity like you would for checking an open/completed circuit. When the key is cycled ON, one lead held to ground, other on #86,, meter should indicate a closed or completed circuit.

Few ways the Battery Saver Relay can fail,, one would be if the relay contacts fail, and the other would be if the cluster processor no longer can active a ground to close the relays. Or, the relays coil to close the contacts magnetically has failed.

If both the fuses prove out, and there is a 'key cycled' ground on #86 then a good chance the Battery Saver contacts are gone, or less likely the relays coil. If no indicated ground at #86 with the key cycled, chances the cluster processor has failed. There's always the possibility of a pin or connector drop out or poor connection, and a check point prior to a cluster replacement, but what your findings are, will help point in a direction to go...

Old 03-31-2016, 12:13 AM

Ok. Will do that then get back to you. Thanks do far!

Old 03-31-2016, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Make absolutely sure both fuses,, F2.41 10amp, and F2.35 10amp in the CJB are good,, tested across both tabs with a light or meter. They must prove out active. Both will be 'Hot at all times', so no need to cycle the key.

Both of those fuses/circuits are power distribution into the Battery Saver Relay and in part power function for the Delay Relay. If both fuses prove out, and you still have no 12v at #85 on the Accessory Delay socket, then one of a few things has happened..

First step, which you've already done is to look for 12v on #85 (may need to test a few drop out possibilities there later- cluster and CJB connectors)
Next, is to look to see if the Instumeny Cluster processor is still commanding the 'ground' for both the Battery Saver and Delay Relay. The Delay Relay is the only one you can test, so if you have a DVOM, set it on the ohm/continuity like you would for checking an open/completed circuit. When the key is cycled ON, one lead held to ground, other on #86,, meter should indicate a closed or completed circuit.

Few ways the Battery Saver Relay can fail,, one would be if the relay contacts fail, and the other would be if the cluster processor no longer can active a ground to close the relays. Or, the relays coil to close the contacts magnetically has failed.

If both the fuses prove out, and there is a 'key cycled' ground on #86 then a good chance the Battery Saver contacts are gone, or less likely the relays coil. If no indicated ground at #86 with the key cycled, chances the cluster processor has failed. There's always the possibility of a pin or connector drop out or poor connection, and a check point prior to a cluster replacement, but what your findings are, will help point in a direction to go...
Great tips Haya.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:55 PM

I tested there is power at fuse 35 but not fuse 41. Any idea what now?
Thanks

Old 04-02-2016, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Fuse 41 is a CJB direct feed 'Hot at all times' into the Battery Saver Relay,, when the battery saver relay is commanded closed, voltage 'should' flow from 41 'through' the battery saver relay contacts and into the Accessory Delay Relays coil side (magnetic coil to close the relay) which the cluster processor makes the functions happen.

If there's no voltage at 41,, could be a bad contact/pin is pushed out, damaged, corroded or ? on one of the two connectors on the CJB's backside. Sometimes if a fuse tap (inserts one fuse leg as a splice or add in circuit) is used, they have the potential to over spread the fuses leg internal tension within the CJB and can cause a drop out,, probably not in your case but worth mention, and I've seem them cause issues..

Sometimes pushing the fuse over to one side or another will prove out a lost or damaged hold.

So,, if your comfortable checking the CJB connectors, I can send you a few connector views and circuit explanation. If you want to 'test' the system to be sure the processor, battery saver, delay relay are functioning, and your only missing power distribution on 41,, use a test lead fused for 10amp and add it at the fuse. 41 is distribution for the cluster/ battery saver only.. If the CJB were damaged on that circuit, you could add in a stand alone fused/10 amp to 41 if the connectors prove out, and you still have no distribution to 41..

Old 04-02-2016, 01:58 AM

Im feel comfortable checking the connestions at the CJB if you sent pictures i think it would be very beneficial. I will also do the test to put power to fuse 41 and see if it works then.
Thanks

Old 04-02-2016, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Sent you some info that may lend some clarification.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:44 PM

I back probed pin #15 on plugin c270a in the cjb and there is power there. When i run a 10amp protected wire from #15 to #41 fuse the windows and radio work full time but pops the fuse i have on the link wire. What else do you reccomend i do? Thanks

Quick Reply: 2002 F250 Power Windows and AM/ FM