Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2002 F250 Power Windows and AM/ FM

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

If you have power out of circuit #15/C270a,, adding an 'alike' fused wire back into into itself on fuse 41 in the CJB shouldn't cause either to pop. Affectivly just making a loop.

It works all the time,, but pops the fuse?

In order for the controlled components ( radio, Windows) to work all the time, voltage would have to pass through a 'closed/active' Battery saver relay, the instrument cluster processor would have had to be functional and supply grounds for ' both' the Battery saver and Accessory delay relays and the Accesory delay relay would have to be closed/active as well. And then you would have voltage on Accesory delay connector #85 ( missing in your prior post).

Looking at the schematics, how did adding voltage (all ready there) at #15 circuit, add power distribution out to Accesory delay relay connector #85? when it was missing voltage there before?

If there was an issue within the cluster or CJB, I could see it popping a fuse, but it should take out the 10 amp fuse already there..

Old 04-27-2016, 11:39 PM
Smile

After all the testing i figured out that i wasnt getting 12v power to the windows radio relay in the cjb because of a bad battery saver function in the gauge cluster. Instead of replacing i was able to tap into the ingnition wires and wire in a stand alone relay to power my radio and windows when the key is on or in acc. But i lost the battery saver function for the windows and radio which i didnt think was a big deal. With lots of help from hayapower and many thanks.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Thanks for the update..

Old 04-28-2016, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the update !!

Old 05-10-2016, 12:47 PM

so I also have an 02 f250 with 72k. But it's the V10. I've been having the same issue. My radio and my power windows went out. A week later my gauges stopped working. I read the above thread and I searched for the battery saver relay but its not showing either relays for my truck. I'm sure there is probably some difference between the diesel and gas. I'm really trying to avoid a trip to the dealership so any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 05-11-2016, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site..

The Battery Saver Relay is integrated within the instrument cluster and is not a serviceable component. The micro processor inside the cluster controls the grounding functions for both the Delay and the Battery Saver relays. Again, not a replaceable component.
'All' the panels gauges quit operating?

Old 05-11-2016, 08:16 AM

Thank you for the quick reply! Yes. All the gauges stopped about a week after the radio and Windows and dome light quit. The truck starts and runs fine. Head Lights and signals are working. So it's gonna require replace the intrument cluster? Nothing to do with the wiring harness? Fuse panels been checked and all looks good as well.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

You'd certainly want to make sure the cluster input distribution fuses F2.33 & 45 are good.

Battery Saver, Interior Lamp Relays ( both non serviceable relays) fuses F2.41 Batt Saver, F2.35 Interior lamps are good as well.

As part of a test step, would be to see if a scan tool can communicate with the cluster through the diagnostic connector. The cluster isn't repairable at the dealer level, although they do have an exchange unit option to save on down time. Other repair facilities as well.

That said, a somewhat quick series of pinpoint tests should be done at the cluster connectors to help prove out or diagnose a cluster failure so not to replace a good unit. Connector issues aren't very common although can happen. Given the history of the clusters, a good chance it's failing, more so if the connector test prove out, and no grounding issue within the kick panel connection. Again, fairly unlikely.

If you have the option of following the steps in the prior posts, it will help to prove out the Saver/ Delay Relay commanded functions through a good/bad cluster and its onboard micro processor.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
You'd certainly want to make sure the cluster input distribution fuses F2.33 & 45 are good.

Battery Saver, Interior Lamp Relays ( both non serviceable relays) fuses F2.41 Batt Saver, F2.35 Interior lamps are good as well.

As part of a test step, would be to see if a scan tool can communicate with the cluster through the diagnostic connector. The cluster isn't repairable at the dealer level, although they do have an exchange unit option to save on down time. Other repair facilities as well.

That said, a somewhat quick series of pinpoint tests should be done at the cluster connectors to help prove out or diagnose a cluster failure so not to replace a good unit. Connector issues aren't very common although can happen. Given the history of the clusters, a good chance it's failing, more so if the connector test prove out, and no grounding issue within the kick panel connection. Again, fairly unlikely.

If you have the option of following the steps in the prior posts, it will help to prove out the Saver/ Delay Relay commanded functions through a good/bad cluster and its onboard micro processor.
Great Information.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:29 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hayapower
If there's no 12v current on the #85 leg then there's 'either' an issue at the #41/10 amp fuse as it supplies 12v to the magnetic coil
thanks! My problem was a blown #41 fuse. Swapped in a new fuse and now all is good