Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2006 F350 Diesel trans. fluid?

Old 05-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Default 2006 F350 Diesel trans. fluid?

Hey guys-

My trucks maintenance schedule calls out for the auto transmission fluid to be changed out at 30k miles. My manual also says that there is a "remote filter" that also needs to be changed along with the fluid. How and where do I access this remote filter? Thanks for any help.

J/R

Old 05-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

The remote filter is mounted just to the right/passenger side lower area of the radiator attached to the frame rail.. It's a aluminium canister with a hex end.. The canister tends to hold tight and easy to bend the bracket if a breaker bar ect is used.. An air impact wrench will usually break it loose easily without any damage and the filter is a cartridge type.. Also, the Torqshift doesn't have a drain plug in the converter, so without a flush/fluid exchange the fluid change will only be the contents of the trans pan and filter..

Last edited by Hayapower; 05-25-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Hayapower!

Is this the canister?

Also, could you please explain the last sentence you described, about the "Torqshift doesn't have a drain plug in the converter". I'm just a weekend warrior here, so I may need a bit of coaching here.

Obviously there is a main drain plug on the bottom of the transmission, that, I found, but what else should I be aware of?

Thanks again.

J/R

Old 05-27-2009, 08:38 PM

I believe what the person above me was referring to your transmission, that you planned on draining the Tran and changing the filter, this is not a complete drain, you need a flush or something of that sort to push fluid through your transmission to ensure that you have all new fluid in the transmission

Correct me if wrong

Old 05-28-2009, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

Correct,, and that is the remote filter canister..

The later build 4R100 and the now 5R110 (Torqshift) aren't equipped with a drain plug in the torque converter.. And the converter actually holds more fluid than the trans pan, so draining the pan only with a remote filter change will be a 'fluid dilution' which is better than no service at all and probably should be done at shorter service intervals if you go that way.. Without any exchange/flush equipment you 'can' manually exchange or pump the fluid out through the trans fluid return line at the side/back of the transmission or at the remote filter with a series of engine start/stops using the transmissions front pump to move the fluid through.. One draw back to doing it this way is you'll loose about 6-7 quarts of fluid (Mercon SP Synthetic) and it tends to come at a higher cost than standard fluid.. Basically what your doing is an initial drain capturing 'and' measuring off the original contents of the trans pan oil volume, then, adding back in the same amount of fresh.. Next, with the return line disconnected and a short 'add in' fluid tube inserted into a container (measured off in '1 quart' increments) and connected to the return line the old fluid is pumped and captured with a short as possible run time, then again, fresh fluid added in the same volumes (as captured each time) and repeated.. The idea is to pump the pans contents out (or close to), stop, fill the same amout, run/pump/stop, repeat.. Should take about 20 quarts to flush the unit.. Finally a check for proper fill on the stick.. Crude but effective, and works fairly well as a unit flush..

I have the technique in a PDF I think if you'd like to have a look to see...

Last edited by Hayapower; 05-28-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:56 AM

Thanks guys.

Hayapower, thanks again, you have been a huge help to me. And yes, I'd like a copy of the PDF, if you wouldn't mind. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

J/R

Old 05-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

This may be easier for you to view.. I don't generally like linking to other sites, but this info is basically what I have...

http://www.truckblog.com/story-582-h...t_transmission

Old 05-28-2009, 03:39 PM

Thanks!!!

I know what I'll be doing this weekend now.

J/R