Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2007 FORD F250 6.0 L POWERSTROKE

Old 07-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Default 2007 FORD F250 6.0 L POWERSTROKE

Ok, first of all, I'm new in the diesel world of trucks. I own a 2004 Ford F150 "L", and I've been toying with the idea of buying a 2007 Powerstroke. In fact, I just learned about the engine issues with the PSD and spent the last 5 hours reading forums and searching the net for info (problems, complaints), to be more specific, on the last year of the 6.0 L diesel.
Here's my dilemma. I can get a real good deal on a beautiful brand new 2007 F250 4x4 Crew Cab Lariat Powerstroke with 3.73 gears, 20" tires, etc. or... I can wait until 2009 and get either the new 6.4L PSD (hopefully by then they'll have all the bugs worked out) or the 6.8 L V10 (if is not discountinued). The fact is that I never buy a new model the first year is introduced. My dad had bought many vehicles and taught me that from his own experience! In addition, I kind of don't like much the looks of the new F250s, either.
Anyway, could anyone knowledgeable on the 6.0 L tell me if the 2007 Powerstrokes have been ironed out and are more reliable or at least acceptable in terms of durability and trouble-free maintenance? Even though, I can get this '07 PSD at a really good price considering MSRP and dealer cost, it's still a lot of dinero! And I don't want headaches with a brand new truck.
Plz, I need advise as soon as possible since I have to make up my mind and contact the dealer before they sell this truck to someone else.
Thank you guys in advance for any useful info you may provide.[sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 07-12-2007, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2007 FORD F250 6.0 L POWERSTROKE

I've personally owned 2 6.0's...

One a very early build 03, and my current 05... The 03,, thought to be the most troublesome had some issues with rear main leaks, turbo drone/moan but was corrected and was a good runner till traded off for the Crew Cab.. The 05 hasn’t had any running problems in 44K now, but did loose a rear differential bearing and some trans problems at 2K.. But the mill has been ‘solid’ with zero problems to date and has been tuned to put out close to 400HP and has been that way since just after 2K.. I've been around quite a few 6.0's and to be honest, I wouldn’t want to give my 05 up just yet[/i] .. Runs and drives like an 8K Lexus!! But I've also been witnessed to some of the problems owners have had.. Oil leaks still seem to haunt the 6.0 at times, the biggest issue in my opinion, but not all (my 05 is dry) will be afflicted but some do weep on occasion.. My boss’s 05 with about 30K had the rear main replaced and now looks like the engine will need to be pulled because of a weeping bedplate seal.. Not a huge leak, but not something you want to see on a truck that commanded that kind of money.. Some owners may not even know, or care, but certainly no one wants to have a low mileage engine leak, with the risk of it getting worse.. Then there’s head gasket scares and…………….

Forums can be a bit scary, because most owners come to them looking for help, and can be a little slanted to a degree, and doesn’t really reflect the amount of owners that haven’t had any issues..

The 6.0 has had it’s share, as have other manufacturers , more so on the early releases.. But if I were shopping for a diesel, and was able to get a deal on a new 6.0, I wouldn’t be overly spooked.. Mine has worked hard, been driven harder, and still a pleasure to drive..

I’d never say ‘beware’, because I’ve been very happy with my own, but the 6.0 has had and continues to have a ‘some’ history, but Ford has done a pretty good job keeping them a contender in the diesel market… sweet sound, good power, and a great build of truck…

Old 07-24-2007, 06:52 AM
Default RE: 2007 FORD F250 6.0 L POWERSTROKE

For the Ill fated 6.0, I'd leave it alone, if you don't like the looks of it, don't buy it, find yourself a good stout 7.3L Truck ('03 and older), they have an excellent track record, and still runnig, and there's plenty of aftermarket parts to kick that 6.0 right in the @$$. Good luck on your decision.