Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2008 F250 SD 6.4 - Broken Radiators

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Default 2008 F250 SD 6.4 - Broken Radiators

Has anyone else experienced radiator failures My truck will soon have its third radiator in less than 42,000 miles (unless the dealer can find some other reason my truck is losing 1/2 gallon of coolant a week). Two other similar trucks that I know of have also had radiator issues. The plastic end caps just don't hold up. Sometime saving a pound of weight by going plastic is not worth it. Also, my AC compressor partially failed before 36,000 miles (it kicks in and out with a bang when the defroster is on) and the dealer has yet to replace it (it wasacting upwhen the radiator failed but they only replace the radiator as it was the major problem and I was not using the defroster at the time). The factory has been no help as of this date. Ford hires phone help that is not helpful or knowledgable on their 800 support numbers. This will probably be my last Ford (of course by the time I buy another vehicle they may not be in business - maybe if they read this forum on the 6.4 SD's they would understand why).

Old 11-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Default RE: 2008 F250 SD 6.4 - Broken Radiators

Just got my recall notice today - Ford does have a problem!!!!

There is a Venturi Tee Kit that needs installed. Contact your dealer.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:25 PM

Any one else with the leaky rad problems, I have 2 x 08 F350 trucks update done on the 3rd rad now on the 4th rad each, rads developed a leak on the left tank on the crimp just around the lower mount . A ford tech told me that the hose they rerouted took the excess pressure out of the left tank that is supposed to be the problem as the rad core doesn't have enough flow . I don't agree with that because the leak develops in the same spot around the mount . Called ford they said sorry your out of warranty, I had them log my complaint as I feel this is a design flaw that they need to address, but they probably wont because it's not a safety issue . anybody else have an answer

Old 10-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Thumbs down 3rd Radiator and Faulty Hoses

My truck has had 2 radiators replaced before the Ford recall. Two weeks ago my truck started leaking antifreeze once again at 77,000 miles. This time it was my upper radiator hose, after doing some research online I found out that my truck is a job 1 truck when they came out with job 2 trucks they redesigned these radiator hoses. Job 1 hoses have one O-ring inside them, but job 2 trucks conveniently have 2 O-rings inside them to help them seal better. After arguing my point to Ford they kindly refunded my money. But a week later my truck was once again leaking antifreeze. This time it was my lower radiator hose and once again a busted left tank on my ford plastic radiator. After arguing with Ford they have kindly decided to pay half of my 1200 dollar bill. Ford knows about their faulty radiators but refuses to come out with a recall in which they replace everyone's radiators with a full aluminum radiator, not these cheap plastic Made in Mexico ones they are currently using. Something needs to be done I have filed a complaint with the BBB and am waiting for a reply...

Last edited by Mcshasty37; 10-25-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:45 PM

Well let me know how you make out Mcshasty37, I just noticed on the last service on one of the 08s that has 160 k on it and now the 4th rad has started to leak again in the same spot, the rads I bought from the dealer were around 500 and then a couple of hours labor here in my shop, if your attempting to change your own rad becarefull of the upper rad shell its magnesium you need to use a torque wrench and you should change the stats at the same time as to one of the other recalls , ford said the the stats are reported to hyper extend allowing to much flow and the rad core can't handle it , what ever if that was the issue I would expect to see leaks at different places around the left tank but I don't they have all leaked with an inch or two of the left rad mount. sad to say I've had enough of the 6.4 , also have one in an INT 4300 with a 6.4 it's the worst truck I've ever had in the fleet, last isue it wiped the cam out so they replace the motor under warranty (complete new drop in) but that took a month.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Exclamation 2008 F250 radiator

Just about to go for my third rad . Every two years or 30,000
Ford is about to be called for the seventh time . Do you have any suggestion s
I talked to a local mech friend he said the hoses are on call to with single o rings
To be replaced with double o rings , how many times is a lemon ? This is bad deal for a good looking trk like ford has . I was told the 08 was org- going have 6.8 not 6.4 like they do . I trade right now . Tired of the run around . Attorneys will be next I guest . I'm a heart patient and I hope the ford will not brake down on the way to hosp at the eroding time fram I could have .