Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

5th Wheel Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Default 5th Wheel Hitch

Ok I have a '05 250 SD w/ 5.4L engine and auto tranny.
I am interested in getting rid of my bumper pull toy hauler and getting a short 5th wheel. The one I have in mind today is a 28' that says is about 6700lbs.
I am pretty sure that the truck will pull it with out a problem, the Toy Hauler weighs more than that, so this will be lighter.
The question I have is about putting in a 5th wheel hitch. How do I tell if its been factory prepped for a hitch? What is a good, middle of the road hitch. Not to much and not to little. Plus any advise as to what I would what to look for in a hitch. I have never pulled a 5th wheel so I am very new to this. I have been told over and over that I will love it once I do it, But I need to get set up first.
Thanks in advance

Old 05-01-2016, 10:17 AM

I have never seen a 2005 come from factory 5th wheel hitch ready. Electrically yes, receiver hitch no.

to install the hitch you must mount bracket to the frame rails and then mount the hitch rails to the brackets. this requires drilling through the truck bed and frame rails. All the mounting instructions come with the hitch.

etrailer.com has all the information and videos you need.

5th wheels do tow much better than bumper tow

Old 05-01-2016, 01:36 PM

Yeah, I guess I didn't say it right. I am looking to see if the holes are pre-drilled to accept the 5th wheel hitch. Drilling just through the bed is easy enough. the frame I would suspect would be harder. But either way I am going to do it myself. just because I am a cheap ***. I am pretty sure that it is wired for the harness, I put a 7 pin on years ago when I got the TH. It was just a plug in pigtail.
Does any one know if that plug on the harness right behind the rear bumper is the one I would use for a in bed plug for the 5th wheel? Or is there one closer to the cab?? That is where I would like it to be, just inside the bed on the drivers side.
Thanks

Old 05-02-2016, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by primem
I have never seen a 2005 come from factory 5th wheel hitch ready. Electrically yes, receiver hitch no.

to install the hitch you must mount bracket to the frame rails and then mount the hitch rails to the brackets. this requires drilling through the truck bed and frame rails. All the mounting instructions come with the hitch.

etrailer.com has all the information and videos you need.

5th wheels do tow much better than bumper tow
Thanks for the information primem !!