Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

6.0 mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Default 6.0 mods

Was wondering fo anyone has any suggestions for mods to do to my 04 6.0 to increase mpg. Have a buddy that put aftermarket 4" exhaust and diablo chip, said he is getting 19-22mpg.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Default RE: 6.0 mods

I have always used the Banks Power stuff, they offer many different packages that both improve performance drastically and give you better MPG while keeping the EGT's lower. I also noticed a slight jump in MPG when I switched all my lubricants to amsoil synthetics.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:55 PM

i'm looking into doing something with my '02 7.3, how does the banks compare with the edge w/ juice? currently i'm running the superchips programmer, which i'm thoroughly impressed with, but i'm starting to crave more power. i've already got 4" exhaust from turbo back, and a k&n intake, and i like the edge because of the extras, (digital pyro & boost gauges, gps, and rear view camera). but i know very little about the banks, and bullydog systems. any suggestions/info?

Old 01-20-2006, 04:18 PM

I myself would choose the banks stuff over the others. Banks is very through in doing there r/d before ever releasing any of there products. I use and have used many of banks products without ever have a problem. I have friends that swear by bullydog or edge, yet they have had several problems...blown head gaskets and unacceptable egt's. The bottom line is that many people have the knoweldge to alter your computer for performance gains, which works fine for minor gains. These guys that are selling high hp chips are just giving you crazy high egt's and damage to you engine over time. Banks has much more than just a simple program/chip. They have the right kits to compliment their chip/program to get the most power and torque while staying very safe with the egt temps, and increasing your fuel milleage. You can view all of banks products at www.bankspower.com I would look into the powerpack for starters, you can always add to it later if wanted. There stuff may be a bit more pricey, but like with everything else, you do get what you pay for.

You may also want to check out www.dieselsite.com Bob sells many hard to find products as well as many of his own that are available only from him. He is very good with these engines and everything I have ever ordered from him has been top quality with excellent instructions.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:38 PM

thanks rngmstr, i'll check it out.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:01 PM

Hey rngmstr, wondering if you know if just the exhaust will add some milage gains. I know its lame but Im having a hard time talking the wife into letting me do a chip and an exhaust right now.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:53 PM

if you're lookin for an inexpensive way to open up your intake, as long as the intake pipe between your airbox and turbo is 3" inside diameter, get a k&n filter for a '97 chevy 350, it a cylindrical filter approximately 5" in diameter, by about 12" long. they're about $56 at oreily's the last time i looked. remove your stock air box and filter, and get a 3" thinwall sewer pipe coupler, (about a buck) you'll need to put the coupler inside the intake pipe to prevent it from colapsing when you tighten up the hose clamp. when you get the new filter in place, you can take some aluminum sheetmetal, and form a new box around it, similar to the airaid boxes. this worked for my 7.3 . i'm not sure if it'll work on a 6.0 because i haven't spent much time under the hood of those, but maybe it'll help with some ideas. i don't think a freeflowing exhaust will help much if you leave the intake stock. i would definately yank the catalytic converter though. i have no idea why they put them on a diesel. it's just another hastle. but anyway, good luck with everything.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:21 PM

I would not in any way alter you air intake on a 6.0L! For one, you have no airbox! Second, the filter the 6.0L comes stock with is the best and longest lasting airfilter available. The set up that you currently have on your 6.0L costs approx. $300 to put on a 7.3L. The only thing I would recommend to do to your air filter is replace it with the amsoil/donaldson direct replacement filter when it comes time to replace it. There filter is the same design as stock, but a slightly better filter media. I believe it's a few bucks cheaper also. The air filter on your 6.0L is (depending on your driving conditions) good for at least 30,000 miles. I just changed one out with 23,000 miles and I cut it in half to find that only the first two inches of the approx. 10 inch filter was dirty. Dusty conditions would obviously shorten the life a bit, but still well over what any normal style air filter(stock or aftermarket) could ever hold up to.

Now, to answear your question, a exhaust that flows better will help you MPG slightly. Again, I would recommend Banks. There monster exhaust will improve the MPG slightly, improve mid-range power by approx. 10-12 hp and lower your EGT's a bit. I don't remember the exact numbers right now, but there monster exhaust cuts the backpressure by approx. 95%-98%. There exhaust also fits perfect and looks very, very nice and will only help you out if you ever do decide to add a programmer/chip.

If fuel milleage is what your after, I would recommend changing you engine oil, trans fluid, and rear end lube over to a good quality synthetic. If you have four wheel drive, do your transfer case and front diff. also. It's not a huge gain, but every little bit helps.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:40 PM

Thanks for all the info.

Old 01-31-2006, 11:20 PM

Three words about 6.0 mods. DONT DO IT. The 6.0 is not a 7.3. This engine is not made to take any modifications. The turbo tolerances are closer, and the head gaskets will not take the increased cylinder pressures that come from overboosting. Installing larger exhaust without mufflers or cats decreases backpressure. Exhaust backpressure is the single most important control of this engine. Without proper backpressure you thow the whole system off.

Quick Reply: 6.0 mods