Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

7.3 no start. tried everything.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Default 7.3 no start. tried everything.

I've got a 1995 ford superduty with the 7.3 diesel. I've been trying everything to get it started. I am also a auto mechanic but don't know much about diesels. Ive tried glow plugs, and a glow plug controller. That got it to for a while, but now nothing. The truck sits around alot and doesn't get used alot. Someone told me it my be oil pressure related. I'm not sure and if somebody would have an idea I would sure welcome it. Thanks

Old 08-20-2006, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 7.3 no start. tried everything.

The early PSD's are known for burning both/either the Valve Cover harness/s connectors as well as the under cover harness/s at the outter ends of the connections for glow control.. Although it should still start with some extended cranking in the warmer temps 'especially' if block heater equiped and plugged in.. It needs 500lbs of high pressure oil delivery for the injectors, as well as 150 RPM min for cranking.. (Range is 150-200 but may vary).. First, check the HPOP oil reservoir for fill.. If you remove the plug located forward/top of the front cover, just in front of the fuel/water seperator, it should be within 3/4-1 of the top.. If not top it off and retry the start attempt.. Battery condition (since you stated it sits long periods) is also critical as the RPM has to be within spec or it won't fire even though it sounds like it may be cranking 'OK'.. Starter draw can be an issue as well.. Cam Position sensors fail somewhat frequently as well, and usually can be seen with no tach signal/movement while cranking and can make for a no start condition.. The injector driver module will not fire the injectors without a tach signal from the CMP.. Fuel pump pressure needs to be min. 20lbs+ cranking, and 50+ depending on RPM. Check the fuel/water seperator for full prior to a cranking attempt, or soon after, to verify pump output/pressure.. Was there ever any CEL's or do you have access to a scan tool to monitor the data stream PIDS? It would be a benifit to retrieve any DTC's prior to any diagnostics/repairs as well as check the systems parameters for normal start conditions.. Whats the mileage on this 7.3?

................HP.............