Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

91 F250 5.0 wont start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Default 91 F250 5.0 wont start when hot

My truck will start very easy in the morning, after driving 12 miles my truck will not start unless I wait for 20 minutes.

I replaced the fuel pump still have the problem.

a week later my truck started clunking like it is running out of fuel. like driving it in to high of a gear or like the first time some drive a standard

Old 08-30-2013, 10:23 PM

Any help finding the problem would be great fully

Old 08-31-2013, 02:36 PM

Do you know how to check for spark?
Do you have anything like a spray can of carb and choke cleaner?

Old 09-01-2013, 01:59 PM

yes I do know how to check for sprak, why? are you thinking it might be my coil?

how much carb cleaner should I use, should I spry it while she is running? it is an efi

thank you

Old 09-01-2013, 02:02 PM

yes I see what you mean, I have done that to get the truck started when it will not start or park on a hill and jump start it when

Old 09-01-2013, 02:12 PM

Your posts are not complete, is there a reason for this?
The reason I asked about spark is, when it won't start either you can try one quick shot of carb and choke cleaner into the intake by the air filter or check to see if you have spark available at the time it will not start. At this time we do not know if there is a fuel problem or an ignition problem. I don't suspect anything since I do not know which problem is the cause for the no start. Those are the basic steps you need to do to isolate it to one of the two systems. Once we know which system is the problem we can go from there. It can be something simple , but we need a direction to go first.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:40 PM

Thank you Hanky.

No reason Just learning how to use this forum

Yes My truck will start if I spy starting fluid in to the air intake

Last edited by chefsteele; 09-01-2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: adding more text
Old 09-01-2013, 06:35 PM

Good , now we can concentrate on the fuel system.
A brief overview.
When you turn the key on at the time it won't start ,do you hear the fuel pump run for the usual 1-2 seconds - yes/no
Does the vehicle have dual tanks?
Can you manage to go under the vehicle and look under the driver's seat area , do you see a fuel filter and high pressure fuel pump mounted on the inside of the chassis rail?

Old 09-02-2013, 01:15 PM

Yes I do hear the fuel pump

yes I do have dual tanks

yes my fuel filter is in the chassis, but my high pressure fuel pump is located in the front fuel tank.

three weeks ago I had replaced my high pressure fuel pump.

Thank you

Old 09-02-2013, 05:13 PM

If there is no hi pressure pump inside the left chassis rail then both tanks each have a high pressure fuel pump. If you get the same result with both tanks then I would suspect the fuel pump relay. What is puzzling is when it won't start and you still hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key to the on position. When it won't start did you try to switch tanks and see if it would start then?

Quick Reply: 91 F250 5.0 wont start when hot