Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

93 F-250 E4od in limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 09:38 PM
Default 93 F-250 E4od in limp mode (SOLVED)

Hello all new member here i have been trying to figure out my issues on this truck for the last month. The PO really neglected it and it was in pretty bad shape mechanically.
Story of the truck 1993 F250 4wd ext cab with the 5.8L engine
Found it on CL it belonged to a Younger guy and told me trans went out he replaced it then a month later the other trans went out so now he needs a different vehicle.. i traded him my 02 chevy s10 which ran great ( i miss it) because i needed a bigger truck so i get it towed home and start working on it.
found it leaked all fluid out front seal refilled it with 7 qts and checked to see if it grabbed. it did drove it a lil but had a delayed engagement in reverse and drive. dropped the pan fluid was dark and smelled burnt.. filter was sitting in bottom of pan and had melted where the kneck is that goes in the hole.. replaced filter drained TC blew our cooler lines refilled it with i believe something like 16-or 17 qts ( cant remember) and drove it again it had no more delay but felt sluggish. floored it it kicked down and shifted back up like it should but was still sluggish on take off.. only felt 2 shifts so figured 1-2-3 no od hit od button and no light so i tore everything apart to check wiring and fuses. found a bunch of blown fuses but still no od light.. replaced button and light works now..

was driving home from work and all of a sudden it stopped downshifting. also no longer kicks down when floored I
read numerous threads about the e4od and found out i am in limp mode.. od does work but im taking off in 2nd that explains it being sluggish.
i did koeo test and codes i get and 637(TOT)626 (CSS) and 621 (sol 1 circuit failure) koer test gives me 636 (also TOT) and 172 (oxygen sensor).. i have pulled mlps plug cleaned it and reinstalled it same with solenoid plug.. wires look good and looks like i have the updated mlps since plug in on top..
So i am at the point that im not sure where to look next.. the 621 sol 1 circuit failure and css codes are my biggest worry then the TOT im thinking poss pcm issue or bad sol pack any ideas?

Last edited by whatusername; 02-14-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:41 PM

Wow dead site.. gues i"ll be figuring this out on my own then

Old 02-08-2016, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry about the delayed response.

Welcome to the site.

The burnt fluid and melted filter neck, spewing fluid from the front pump/ torq seal would be a sizeable concern for heat damage for the unit installed now. Plus, if this was a replacement and not a rebuilt of the excisting trans, generally the pack is new within an exchange unit.

So, why two failures within a short time?, cooler get overlooked originally?, or VSS, MLPS replaced/updated before the concerns, or as a repar attempt? Correct values now on both? Sometimes during a MLPS replacement if the shift lever isn't supported during the nut removal/torque the internal detention spring will bend causing selection misalignment and flow/application issues damaging friction pieces. If the scribe marks can't be captured, possible the detent is damaged. Any idea where the trans was built or a replacement done?

Last edited by Hayapower; 02-09-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:55 AM

Welcome on a forum mate.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:02 PM

Hi and thanks. To be honest po was a bone head who drove it till it died. I had the other trans taken apart and the clutches are good no hard seals and pump looked good.. he described he only had 1 and 2nd or 1st and reverse he couldn't remember.. also found lots of blown fuses about 5 of them so I think it was eltric on that tranny too.. this tranny mayb tq converter wasnt engageing due to blown fuses thus overheated and thats y it spit up? today I looked at sol plug again and saw o/blk frayed thats is the tot sensor plug and 1 of my codes.. im gonna replace it and see what happens

Old 02-09-2016, 10:29 AM

Please update us you current condition.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Sorry about the delayed response.

Welcome to the site.

The burnt fluid and melted filter neck, spewing fluid from the front pump/ torq seal would be a sizeable concern for heat damage for the unit installed now. Plus, if this was a replacement and not a rebuilt of the excisting trans, generally the pack is new within an exchange unit.

So, why two failures within a short time?, cooler get overlooked originally?, or VSS, MLPS replaced/updated before the concerns, or as a repar attempt? Correct values now on both? Sometimes during a MLPS replacement if the shilf lever isn't supported during the nut removal/torque the internal detention spring will bend causing selection misalignment and flow/application issues damaging friction pieces. If the scribe marks can't be captured, possible the detent is damaged. Any idea where the trans was built or a replacement done?
actually the replacement unit is a jy unit and i didnt replace the mlps but it has the plug on top instead of on the side so i assume its the updated style vss not checked but my speedo works perfectly and overdrive does kick in so i do not have a flashing od light, as far as him installing the mlps correctly i wouldnt know what would i be looking for? i am about to go cheange my sol plug now and will update asap

Old 02-09-2016, 05:55 PM

well i changed the harness and made sure i put a generous amount of dielectric grease in it also cleaned with a wire wheel the relays under the hood and put grease on them too took her for a test drive and she shifts on her own.. floored it and she down shifts like she should.. i only went a couple blocks but seemed good. only time will tell. and also won a set of nice vintage western turbine hurricane wheels and tires 33/12.50 R16.5 on ebay last night for the awesome price of $152.49 and local pickup put them on and she looks great.. alot better than those ugly steel E 250 wheels it had on. Today was a good day

Last edited by whatusername; 02-09-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Put up a few images after you get the new hoops mounted up!

Old 02-09-2016, 08:40 PM

well spoke too soon. i went to the store and found out it is still taking off in 2nd altho it does shift and if i manually shift to 1st i get first which i didnt have before so its better than it was but not quite fixed yet.. i will pull codes tomorrow at work and go from there.. mayb need a sol pack now or mlps or tps.. i dont know how to test them exactly but i will read and try to find the info unless someone wants to post me a detailed walk through...

Edit to this post.. after a few days of driving it and understanding it i learned i was wrong.. its shifting fine it just so smooth i dont feel the shift but its actually shifting and taking off in 1st.. all is good

Last edited by whatusername; 02-11-2016 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 93 F-250 E4od in limp mode