Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

93' F250 transmission not shifting out of 2nd?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:32 AM
Default 93' F250 transmission not shifting out of 2nd?

Hello,
My 93 F250 4x4 has 139K miles, 5K on a newly rebuilt transmission.
The transmission will not shift out of first in drive but can be manually changed from 1st to 2nd, not into 3rd or higher. This started after a recently (couple months) replaced the Power control module. Transmission shop dropped the pan and said everything looked pretty good. Any ideas? Would rather not rebuild if it is an electrical issue.
The shop did replace the speed sensor, it work for 10 miles then started doing the same, not shifting out of 1st in drive, only able to manually shift from 1st to 2nd. Any help is greatfully appreciated!
Jay

Old 04-10-2016, 11:09 AM

Did you notice if the OD lite was flashing? If it is an electrical problem, you might check all the plugs, 2 on driver's side and 1 on the pass side for any corrosion--green stuff that kinda grows on the pins. Can be cleaned out with WD40 if necessary. It would also be helpful if you could have the computer checked for any trans codes that might reveal a possible solenoid /connection problem. The solenoids do what the computer directs based on info received from various sensors. Trans shop should be able to confirm a problem there if they have the right equip.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:02 PM

Thank you! The OD light has not been flashing. Are the plugs you mentioned on the transmission itself?
For some reason, no one have been able to get any codes on the truck, they hook up to it be it does not show anything.
Not sure if a rebuild will fix the issue, that is quite an expensive gamble.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

5k,, should still be under warranty from the builder..
What was their warranty period/miles?

Does the service/rebuild invoice have any replacement component listing? Unless your in the corrosion belt, I wouldnt think you'd have connector/pin issues in 5k unless the shop missed it. Generally a quality rebuild would/should include the solenoid pack. I'd take it back and have them diagnose it. If it's occurring all the time, they should be able to diagnose the failure. Solenoid pack can be ohm tested if a failure on the electrical side, box tested for shift commands if their equipped..

If under warranty, and it gets worked on by others, could void the warranty..

A connector check, wouldn't be an issue, lowering pan or a pack swap, warranty killer...

Last edited by Hayapower; 04-10-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:26 PM

The 2 connection plugs on the driver's side consist of the manual lever position switch (formally neutral safety switch) and the speed sensor located on the rear tail portion of the trans. The solenoid pack plug is located on the pass side of the trans.
You should not get into warranty problems just checking plugs for any corrosion, but as Hayapower stated anything else could create possible warranty problems.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the tips guys, the trick is the rebuild was probably 6 years ago so the warranty is not an option. The truck is a weekend truck for us.
Do you think the new aftermarket power control module has anything to do with it? The trouble started after I replaced it, before that, no issues at all!
I will do what it takes to keep the truck running, it is part of the family now, but we would hate to rebuild the tranny and find out the issue was not fixed.
It does not get driven much and the shop mentioned the seals may he become "old". I really appreciate the feedback, thank you
Jay

Old 04-19-2016, 11:28 PM

Check the harness going to the trans, it's pretty common for the harness to rub on the clamps that holds it to the frame.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dieseljeeper
Check the harness going to the trans, it's pretty common for the harness to rub on the clamps that holds it to the frame.

Agreed !!

Old 01-26-2017, 05:44 PM

Hello again, just wanted to follow up. I replaced the power control module again and the truck if shifting fine! To recap, the original power control module went bad - running rough - and I replaced it. Ran good. We had a 1000 year flood here in SC and shortly after the transmission started acting up. After several shops telling me to rebuild I finally found one shop where the owner recommended switching the PCM again before I invest in a rebuild. I did and so far (2 days) it is running again great! Hope this helps someone that runs into the same predicatment, thank goodness for an honest opinion!
If something changes I will report but for now we are back on the road!
thanks Yall!

Old 01-26-2017, 05:46 PM

I mentioned the flood because when I pulled the PCM I saw some light rust on the bottom of the PCM. The truck did not flood but it rained like no tomorrow for a few days. At least that is what I am attributing it to, someone else mentioned rain drips down the firewall onto the PCM so they keep a towel over that portion of the hood. Good luck!