Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

97 F250 4.6 head gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Default 97 F250 4.6 head gasket replacement

Just thought i would post up a thread to follow me through this project.

Truck: 1997 F250 with the triton 4.6L.
Issue: Truck started running teribble the day be for i found the problem. On my way home the second day it really got bad about a mile from my drive way, and was not running on all cyl (lack of firing from coolant). The truck never over heated. (I was getting a cyl 1 misfire the day be for).

I can clearly see this engine as been torn into be for.

The "what the hell I'm I getting into view :-down "

Intake off, went pretty smooth other then 2 injectors coming out of fuel rail which pissed me off. The paper in pic was from a field mouse that tried to make a nest back there at some point lol .. droped in there when i pull intake. Also they must paint the block section under intake, that's all paint in there coming off (thought it was carbon when first seen it).

[/URL]

Rain shut me down, i did not want this in my garage. I would have to take the motorcycles out and all my toys to get this truck inside all the way. If it keeps raining, I'll take the suv and push it in when i work on it. tossed some plastic covering on heads be for i bailed due to rain (hood still on truck)

[/URL]

Coffee with cream anyone?

[/URL]

I pulled the drain and stuck my finger under it to see if there was any metal shavings etc, and kept doing that until it all drained. No metal shavings, and none in the oil (no metal flacks like i was expecting). i left the oil drain plug out of the oil pan so everything could drain out, hopefully no rust down there as a result. There was not much coolant actually, about a quart(Yes i measured it out by filling the last oil change jugs.

Passenger side where the head gasket went:

walls don't look bad and feel smooth.

Head gasket where I believe the failure happened:

Anyone know why there is a difference here?

I did leave the manifold on the heads, and they where removed with engine in truck (wasn't hard at all... )

Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Looks like your getting a good run on it. If it had been broken into before, could be they replaced the gaskets and didn't replace the H/bolts and the new gaskets quickly failed.

If you need any shop info going back together let us know.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site..

Looks like your getting a good run on it. If it had been broken into before, could be they replaced the gaskets and didn't replace the H/bolts and the new gaskets quickly failed.

If you need any shop info going back together let us know.
Well the only thing i can tell for sure was changed is the water pump. Some one broke 2 bolts to the manifold on the passenger side and 1 on the drivers side. So I'm not 100% sure, but the chains and guides look way to good to have not been replaced. When i unbolted and removed all the head bolts, the head was supper easy to remove.. Which made me think some one changed them be for.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:50 AM

Well, it sounds like our moderator hit the nail right on the head again; someone likely reused the head bolts (a big NO-NO!).
One thing you might try since the heads are off is a really nice block flush to get rid of some of that rust and corrosion in the cooling system. It would be a same to have a clogged heater core in such a nice running truck!

Old 08-19-2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by greasemark
Well, it sounds like our moderator hit the nail right on the head again; someone likely reused the head bolts (a big NO-NO!).
One thing you might try since the heads are off is a really nice block flush to get rid of some of that rust and corrosion in the cooling system. It would be a same to have a clogged heater core in such a nice running truck!
I have another truck to drive, so I will probably pull the block out and complete rebuild her this winter. but then again, i might just toss all new "GOOD" set of gasket on it and be done with it. The gaskets on it did not look like the best quality gaskets.

I'm not to worried with that surface rust, the rings/bearings will be long gone be for that becomes a issue(that statement will probably bite me in the rear later )