Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

baffled

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Unhappy baffled

2006 F350 6.0 .... the alternator has went bad... put a new alt. on still not charging up to par. took and got 2nd alt. to only do the same .... the connections are good .... replaced one of the battery that was good just needing charge to be on the safe side... still not charging over 12.2 v ... have checked all fuses .... pulled some relays to check for draws ... I feel like I am missing something and I cant keep fring alternators..... the alt. also gets really really hot while running and then dies out completely

Old 10-07-2011, 03:16 PM

sounds like there is a different electrical problem than the alternator

Old 10-07-2011, 05:41 PM

Here is something you can try.
Disconnect the positive cable from one of the batteries.
Start the engine and see what result you get. If the same , then take the other battery and do the same thing. I suspect one of your batteries is shorted internally, and not knowing which was replaced , it doesn't matter, because the shorted battery is killing your alternator.

Also I believe your vehicle's alternator output is controlled by the computer.
If the above check doesn't isolate the problem then there is a good possibility the computer is getting wrong info and causing the alt to put out max output and therefore getting pretty hot.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:03 PM

...I think HANKY pegged it.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:55 AM

I suspect one of your batteries is shorted internally, and not knowing which was replaced , it doesn't matter, because the shorted battery is killing your alternator.

metal roofs