Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Brand New 2013 F250 insufficient rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Unhappy Brand New 2013 F250 insufficient rear suspension

I purchased a 2013 F250 SRW 10 days ago with the optional package of 5th wheel prep to replace my 2001 F350. I hooked up my gooseneck trailer and quickly found that the rear suspension was insufficient to support the trailer. We discovered that the rear suspension has been reduced to provide a more comfortable ride (what the heck?? I wanted a superduty pulling truck). I bought this specifically to pull my trailer so am looking for a solution. Has anyone added leafs or airbags?

Old 12-22-2012, 03:49 AM

A lot of people do a lot of different things to "solve" a problem like this. Just a side note, the vehicle is certified when built to carry a certain payload and total a certain gross weight. Altering that certified weight/build/construction violates the certified weight etc.,and in the event of any type misshap the insurance company can walk right out from any responsibility since the vehicle was altered. Suggest you check this out with your insurance co. Would like to know what they tell you. Thanks.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Default Adding spring leaf to suspension

I didn't think about the insurance aspects. I am following up on the impact on warranty. I have a case file started with Ford and am documenting everything the dealer suggests I bought 2 leaf springs that we're mounting today. This is from the autoshop that the dealer suggested do the work. I will post what happens from here. Still very angry and disappointed a brand new truck has to be worked on (by my long suffering fix my truck/trailer husband) before I can use it!

Old 12-22-2012, 10:12 AM

You're doing a wise thing keeping a file. Picture this; you took it to a place the dealer suggested etc. , they didn't advise you do this only suggested. Try to cover your moves with something from the dealer in writing. I hope they didn't sell you a truck just for the purpose of a sale not taking into consideration what you were going to tow with it weightwise.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:27 PM

Suspension beefed up now. After picking up a set of special order leaf springs from the auto repair shop the dealer recommended, we installed them on the truck yesterday (wow - a brand new truck with 30 miles is sparkly clean underneath!). Was not an easy task. After 4 hours to install the moment of truth - hook up to the gooseneck. Ta da! The additional spring made the difference. I'm not sure what to do with Ford now - I started a case file with them on Friday. I'm still so disappointed the rear suspension on what I bought wasn't strong enough.

Thanks for your feed back. Just a caution to other 3/4 and 1 ton truck buyers to check not only the pulling power, but verify that the rear suspension is appropriate for what is needed.