Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Camper Package F350

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Default Camper Package F350

Hi,

What exactly is changed with the camper package (Parts added?, adjustments made?, etc.)? Does it somehow raise the load carrying capability center of gravity?

Walt

Old 09-19-2006, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Camper Package F350

What year truck are you working with?

A newer S/D with the camper package will have heavy service front springs, rear stabilizer bar, rear auxiliary/overload springs, and a slide-in camper certification..

Old 09-19-2006, 12:37 AM

Hi Hayapower,

Thanks for the response & information.

I'm shopping (Probably a new '07 truck), and I plan on a somewhat high load in the bed (Not a pickup camper, but a small boat & trailer). In another forum for travel trailers, I saw a mention that the camper package raises the managable vehicle & load combination center of gravity. Is that so?

Also, what does "slide-in camper certification" mean other than that I'd be legal to carry a slide-in camper? What kinds of criteria are required to be met for the certification.

Attached is the arrangement I have in mind (Hope it works, I can't see it in the preview).

Best Regards,
Walt

[IMG]local://upfiles/7177/F5DDBE163969409F9C9BBA8B5AB1E076.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-19-2006, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

Looks nice!

When you, or if you buy a new truck and the camper package is included, you may also have 'some' options as to springs available that can affect your certificates max rating.. Individual ratings can change depending on options included.. In the glove box will be a certificate that is VIN ID'd to your truck that shows the max payload that you can carry, and the 'center of gravity zone' measurements for the bed in inches for this specific weight, and when matched to the camper, or load structure specs supplied by the manufacturer, must or should fall into this zone.. The center of gravity position may change some with reduced load if noted on the certificate.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:01 AM

Hi Hayapower,

So, I understand that the 'center of gravity zone' measurements are shifted upward with the camper package. Would it be possible to home in, in advance, on the payload and the 'center of gravity zone' measurements if I elaborate the specs? As I've identified them at this point, they are: F350 XLT, Super Cab, 2WD, SRW, V10, 4.1 Lim. Slip Axle, Automatic 5 Spd., Power Driver's Seat, Camper Pkg., Tow Command Sys., Black Molded Cab Steps, Manual Sliding Rear Window, 12.5K Hitch Receiver, Adj. Pedals, Upfitter Switches, & any color but white. I have not been able to find what the different options weigh & how much they reduce the basic payload.

Best Regards,
Walt

NOTE: If that "Looks nice" indicates an interest in the boat rig setup, check out http://www.trailersystems.com/ . I haven't dealt with them yet, but I'm seriously interested.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Well...

I don't really have that exact formula.. Although at the dealer level, they may be able to plug in option codes and get you an ‘exact’ certificate/weigh/CG rating for placement prior to any purchase or order.. Many potential buyers waffle between F-250 and 350, and these cert. ratings must be available especially if you already have a camper, and/or know what the load/weight would be or needs to be to make sure it can be carried by that particular weight class truck as optioned.. Although, I would bet that there are a lot of ‘non’ slide-in camper certified trucks toting around sizeable campers..

But what's odd, is that, what Fords official site says my truck will carry with the 'camper package', with alike body/wheel base/engine/4x4 ect. is more than my certificate shows by a fairly substantial amount.. This site may be of help, but these numbers shown (at least for my truck) are high in relation to my certificate.. Although the CG measurements aren't included, they do have a load rating.. If correct..

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...ideinAug06.pdf

AND differ from year to year for the same truck, optioned the same as mine..

I think if I were hauling a large camper, I'd be more drawn to what the individual optioned axle weight ratings were as far as load or weight distribution.. Plus, if I were going to carry a larger camper, I'd probably install a set of air springs, and that would surely change the dynamic of the load.. Especially if I were going to carry a load in the bed, and one in tag as well, which would 'have to' change the numbers that’s on the certificate..

I have a ski boat, jet ski's, ATV's, and 4 motorcycles, and looked into stack/lift setup to be able to carry both ski's ect. and still leave room for gear.. Problem is… To much ‘stuff’!!

Old 09-21-2006, 04:25 AM

Hi Hayapower,

Sorry to be so long in getting back to the thread. Work gets in the way sometimes.

That RV Slide In lead you provided was interesting and I backed up to the general web site to find this publication too:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...iessd_07bb.pdf

Though some of the numbers seem too light, it seems to show (Pages 30 > 36) the net weight effect of the various options, including the camper package. And, it seems to break it down to how each axle's GAWR is affected. This should get me to the various weight limits of my spec'd vehicle. It might also explain the disparity in the numbers you noted.

Also from the same site, I found the following:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...f/2007bblb.pdf

It seems to indicate on page 286 that, for the rig I've spec'd, I could have up to 1800 lbs. with a center of gravity up to 24 in. above the truck frame without any particular adaptation like the camper package (I'll have to read this more thoroughly to be sure I understand correctly - ex., I need to learn what 'F/CMVSS 105 criteria' means).

Bye for now (May not check back for a couple days),
Walt

Old 09-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Walt..

You were linked to the Ford Truck Body Builder Advisory Service.. Some good info. and bulletins to read like 'upfitter switch' installs which was a popular installation for those trucks not option ordered, and switches for winches, work lights ect. needed.. Also contact info. should you need an engineer during your chassis/load changes..
If you go to the link below, then scroll to page 11 and 12 (their docs show 9 and 10) this is criteria 105 for Ford Vehicle Safety Standards/measurements..

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas..._sdfseries.pdf

Or, you can go to the home page, https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/ and go to Incomplete Vehicle Manuals under Publications, and select which year/model to preview.. Also, if you select Vehicle specs. under the same category, it will take you to the same info. you were linked to before for axle weights, payload ect. for specific MY's/applications..

Old 09-25-2006, 07:17 PM

Hi Hayapower,

Thanks for all the insight. I've just printed that incomplete vehicle manual and I'll work through the center of gravity calcs.

I've attached a bitmap of a worksheet to give you an idea of what I've resolved to so far.

Best Regards,
Walt