Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Can't get the shift lever out of Park

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Default Can't get the shift lever out of Park

My 2002 F250 4x4 w/5.4L V8 runs great, but this morning, I couldn't get the shift lever out of Park without some trickery involving the gear shift and key tumbler. It's worked fine 'til now - pressing the brake pedal releases the lock, but not today. What could be causing this? Is it linkage, or is it the brake pedal switch?

Old 01-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Can't get the shift lever out of Park

If the stop lamps were working, then I'd check for applied current to the interlock solenoid as a starting point.. If its good, and the lever won't come out of Park, reach up under the dash just above the shifter cable arm.. Pull 'down' on the interlock solenoidcam/lever.. You'll feel it 'click' if the key is in the ON position (without the brake peddle applied) and the lever will pull on down.. Make sure the park brake is set.. If it easily pulls down from Park, then it will prove out the linkage ect.. Also, is the shifter sloppy? The shifter tube bushings tend to wear out, sometimes the clamp screws come loose as well as the shift cable lever at the bottom of the column housing..

Old 01-18-2008, 12:41 PM

Okay, an update. I removed the brake light switch, and the single contact was slightly burnt, so I cleaned the contacts, reinstalled, still no worky. I tried a new switch, still no response.

So, where is the interlock solenoid? Is it available at a parts store, or a dealer item?

Shifter is not sloppy at all, but I'll check to see that the screws are not presenting circumferential interference. Is there a trick to getting inside the steering column/housing to the base of the shift lever? There's a boot preventing easy access.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Check for 12v in/out of the brake lamp switch.. If the tail lamps are working,,should be good to go.. Look straight up from the drivers foot/scuff platearea.. You'll see where the shifter cable attaches to the lower shift arm/lever.. Just slightly upwards on the 'column body' (left column side towards the door) you'll see the bottom of the interlock solenoid body hanging down with the electrical connector pointing straight out.. Tight quarters there, and pull the large lower steering column access panel (4 plastic lock screws) will help to see.. You can 'just' reach around the shift cable arm and pull down on the interlock lever to release.. Or, you can apply the brake (key on), thenwith your hand on the solenoidarm verify it's pulling (or trying) the lever back to unlock the shifter..

The sloppy shifter, and/or 'shift position hunting' is something I just thought I'd mention since the 2 torx screws at the 'lower' shift arm come loose quite often, and the nylon shifter tube bushing wear out.. Generally if the shifter gets sloppy, it doesn't affect the the interlock/park problem.. If the column needs to be lowered to change the solenoid, checking the shift tube bushings/screws is a good practice..

Old 01-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Here's one I'm doing as we speak for shift tube slop, loose cable arm torx screws, and broken O/D shifter lever handle.. Few years older than your M/Y, but pretty much the same.. You can see the solenoid to the left/rear of the pics..

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/7D2A056CF48041DB85CDC08C4BF1DF7F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-18-2008, 02:09 PM

Too cool. Thanks very much for the insight. I'll post tomorrow with my findings, which I'm sure will be unequivocal success!

Old 05-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Default Won't shift from park or start

I have a 2003 Ford Escape with a similar problem. This morning it decided to not shift out of park. It did start and using the manual override switch on the steering collumn I managed to get it to go into gear and drove to work. However, now it will not start the dash does not show it going into gear when I try to start it. The brake lights work so the brake lamp switch should be good (I assume). Any advice would be appreciated thx.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:19 PM

I messed up when hooking up a brake controller. And then end result is the same problem you have here. No working cruise control and no working shift locker.

So if anyone figures it out I am interested too.